Author Topic: Walderslade Village  (Read 794 times)

Offline Archi93

Re: Walderslade Village
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2020, 04:29:33 PM »
There must be a database somewhere that details the sites of all uxb's as they were (and still are) discovered. I don't know if this freely accessible or not - perhaps someone will know? My guess at the moment is that this one was found in the garden of a property in Snodhurst Avenue.
I wonder if the Royal Engineers Museum at Brompton has a database of UXB's as they were often involved in defusing them? One of their static exhibits shows the process involved in defusing such, with a steam pump that was used to inactivate them.

Offline Archi93

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »
Well or cess pit on Walderslade bypass.
Some years ago they put in Walderslade bypass running from part way down Robin Hood Lane towards Walderslade Road, by passing the village itself.
When they were digging to put bypass road in, there was discovered a large red brick structure, beneath the old land surface, shaped a bit like a bell with its wider base down and narrower at top. They had cleaned away the earth to just leave the red bricks in situ. It would easily have fitted a man in to dig and line it.
It was circular and about 4 ft high. It was there for quite a while before they cleared it away to make way for the road.
You can still see where it was, as on the road surface opposite Robin Hood Surgery is a circular area of different type of tarmac, as if the road subsided and was patched up again. I thought it was a village well, but my friend now thinks it was a brick lined cess pit, where the liquid waste would drain away out of the bottom, and the solid waste would be removed either for the garden, or by Chatham Corporation. Does anyone have any photos of information about it please?

Offline Hodge

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2020, 05:46:07 PM »
All these fascinating pictures prompted me to look on Google Earth and use the 'timeline' tool to scroll back in time to see how quickly the Walderslade area developed. It goes from being heavily wooded and rural to concreted and populated in one fell swoop (or click)!

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2020, 01:46:01 PM »
No, unfortunately I have no idea who took most of these pictures, some were probably taken to tempt people into buying a plot in what was then an idyllic piece of the countryside. Others may have just been by amateurs who liked taking rural pictures.

Judging by the vehicle in the Robin Hood lane pic, I'd guess this was the 1920's and we're seeing the terminus of whatever service was available at the time - I doubt if this ran to more than a couple of buses a day.

Offline Hodge

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »
Wow! That's simply unrecognisable as the Robin Hood Lane of today! Thank you Smiffy!
We have to thank those who had the foresight to take photos of what were essentially just unremarkable rural areas, but end up as being valuable historic records! Do you know who the photographer was?

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2020, 06:51:34 PM »
Yes, it's still there, one of the older pre-war properties.

Here's Robin Hood Lane in days of yore:

Offline Hodge

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2020, 05:44:05 PM »
Hi Smiffy,

It's great to see those pictures of Walderslade, thank you! And I do remember seeing them on the 'old' Forum now!

In your picture entitled 'Nab Hill', the house in the very centre of the photo looks like the house on Princess Avenue at the junction with Dargets Road (and is still standing), as it has a very distinctive roof line. It's also in your picture of '"The Valley" Walderslade', in the centre near the top, where Princess Avenue forms a left-hand bend. In your picture of Dargets Road, it's the house in the foreground with just the roof visible. (It's actually two semi-detached houses, but in this context I've referred to it as one.)

I used to live in Dargets Road as a child in the 1970s, and although the area was built up by then, that particular house always seemed to stand out from all the others. When viewing pictures of rural Walderslade, I'll always look for that house and use it as a landmark, as the landscape has changed so dramatically!

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2020, 12:21:55 AM »

Dargets road showing the old school:

A view looking across the village towards Boxley road and beyond:

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2020, 10:54:50 AM »
Smiffy. Many thanks. That is almost unbelievable!

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2020, 10:24:44 PM »

A picture showing "The Homestead". This is the oldest building in Walderslade, parts of which date back to the mid 17th century.

A modern google earth view from a similar angle, showing a somewhat different prospect.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2020, 10:44:35 PM »
Sorry, i got it wrong, they moved there in the late 50's & the farm across the road was very much smaller than the one on the post card.  About the same time that my Dad died there in 1967, the farm had been sold & a small estate of houses built. My Mother moved away a couple of years later & the bungalow sold with the knowledge that it was to be pulled down for modern houses to be built on the site, so a pair of semi's fits the bill. Princes Avenue also was completely made up at that time as well.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2020, 01:12:21 PM »
Dave, I think most of these photo's were taken around 1930ish. Some may actually be a bit earlier. I notice that your parents bungalow is no longer there, replaced by a pair of semi's. This is it zoomed in a bit.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2020, 11:12:20 AM »
Smiffy. Many thanks for the photo's. The first card show my parent's bungalow, "Rozzelle", Princes Avenue. Corrugated iron with a veranda all round & a VERY steep garden. They bought it in 1963 when my father retired from the Yard. By then there were many other bungalows/houses along that end of Princes Ave. on the same side- all different in biggish plots & generally built in the 30's. Do you know what date that post card is please? Lyn. I never walked all the way down to Luton but did cycle many times, What a rough old road that was, chalk & flintstones.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2020, 10:54:51 AM »
I used to be able to walk for miles ( and run once upon a time ) now it's a trek just to the local shop. the 'famed' beauty sleep didn't help much at all  :P but at least I've reached over 70 and lots don't.
I am very careful but have done my own shopping for the last  three weeks and found almost everything in my local Co-op . Only when I need to though.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2020, 12:02:31 AM »
Lyn, I think that most members of the forum over a certain age can remember walking miles to get somewhere without giving it a second thought, until we could afford our own transport. After that it become a less attractive option. (I was once young and lovely as well :D )