Author Topic: Coronavirus. 2020  (Read 2309 times)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: Coronavirus. 2020
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2020, 06:39:34 PM »
I nearly ventured out today - I am quite fit - a trip to a store at 4.30 pm today- no - I did not make it.
I have a garden to walk around - play golf - (putting) - I have the urge - try tomorrow.
Magpie - Oystercatcher - My Favourite Birds

Offline Lutonman

« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2020, 05:37:03 PM »
Yes, My sister has finally ventured out on her own today using the bus to go shopping in Chatham. she tells me she feels much more confident now.
We have been back at church for a couple of weeks now and slowly numbers are rising but many more staying away. The groups that meet at the church hall are also starting up. All of them are masking up to go into the building and using the hand sanitiser but things are slowly getting back.

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2020, 12:44:35 PM »
Castle261, nobody is required to wear a mask to go for a walk. Masks are needed on buses, shops etc. Go for a walk. If you are at all concerned about bumping into people then do what my neighbor does and go around the block early or late in the day. It will feel odd at first, but you do need to exercise and getting out will make you feel normal again.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2020, 10:48:42 AM »
castle261. Time flies, but you MUST try & get out to do a bit of walking as your body really needs it. Just round the block, if no one's about is much better than nothing. Don't worry about the mask if your asthma precludes it, no one will shout at you & you will see others without them. Hope the dinner was good, it makes a pleasant change not to have to cook doesn't it?  My son is home from Luxembourg & works from home- modern technology!- so I go to his for dinner on Sunday evenings, nice. Anyway, welcome back to the upwardly mobile!

Offline castle261

« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2020, 10:03:29 AM »
August 23rd 2020 - I have just been out - for the first time - yesterday - for Sunday diner.
I have been in Isolation since March 10th - over six months. I did not know `what` to expect.
I noticed one cafe closed - one cafe opened - opposite each other. It seemed that I had never
spent that time away from a lot of people. My daughter wore a mask, to protect me. in her car.
I had been thinking of going for a short walk yesterday- but the opportunity came along.
Then you are very old, you are not sure, how far you will be able to walk - after isolation.
I had intended to walk - 200 yards or so - just to see - how I would get on - no buses for me
yet - as I am still not sure - what the procedure is - it has been explained to me - wearing of a
mask - dont relish - as I have asthma - but have a label - to go round my neck - will I get -
shouted at - if  I try to get on one - without wearing a mask - as for shopping - I am fortunate
that I order food - every Thursday. it is brought to my door - by the gardener + kind neighbours.
Going into shops - is another matter - I will not venture into them - just - yet - Phew ------   :-\

August - 26th 2020 - Weather prevented me from venturing out today - This virus is slowly
coming back - as in Hong Kong - its returning. Seem strange the virus is so near - to where it
started - I still believe its escaped from a laboratory - in China - this second one could be the
same - English school`s wear masks from next Monday - Scotland school`s - started this week.

August 27th - 2020 - I ventured out walking today - when it was very quiet- to walk as far as
could - I managed almost a mile - I did not realise the driving test centre was to open - as luckily
my side[of the pavement was empty of people - I did not wear a mask - I was advised to by one
of my neighbours - but other people said ` It was not necessary to wear one - in the street.
I stopped outside B&M shop - not open yet - I saw the round signs `wait here `outside Halifax
bank - it fascinated me - as I had only seen them - on the news.

August 28th - 2020 - After yesterday`s effort I stayed in today - Paris announced - wearing
of mask - even on the street`s - in an attempt to control the virus - cases rising in England -
Will England follow France`s lead - Hunting a boar in England - escaped - or let loose ?

August 29th - 2020 - patches of the virus is coming to some places - where groups have gathered.

August 30th - 2020 - no walk for me today - studying to risks involved - Tour of France - Saturday.

August 31th - 2020 - No diner for me at my daughters - she is in lock down - after going to a
hospital - with her mother - problem with 2nd cataract operation - lock down for both - 14 days.

Sept 1st 2020 - Was going for a walk - developed backache - only - I dont get backaches = also
I have got a clicking neck - air trapped - near my vertebrae - I went for my walk- I discovered an
outdoor gym - a man using it said he lost 3 stone - during his lock down - I saw a machine that
I would like to use - a walking one - but - it had independent rollers - I could not see myself on
that - I would fall flat on my face - as my feet slipped - & no hospital would take me in - a nice
river view thou - closes to the public on November 6 for the winter - a nice place to walk a dog.

Sept 2nd 2020 - Report on Glasgow - visiting restricted  there - because of more reports of virus -
Out for a walk today - I may visit the Pentagon - but I went the other way - to Rochester.

Sept 3rd - 2020 - War declared today - against Germany - in 1939 at 11-00 am - some parts of
Britain still under lock down - Manchester area - business open & closed - same day (government)
after more outbreaks of virus - France - the cycle tour - started last Saturday - from Riviera area.

Sept 4th - 2020 - Blackpool in the news - with the virus today - People to be isolated - coming
back from Portugal - by air today.

Sept 5th - 2020 - France has 8,550 new cases of the virus - England has 1,830 - Scotland has
contained the virus - except Glasgow - reported many many, more cases there.

Sept 6th 2020 - With fine warm weather - will we see the beaches still open for - more crowds.
Was going out to have dinner at ex`s & daughters - but began sneezing - became ill - stayed in.
Man knifed 7 people in Birmingham - arrested later.

Sept 7th - 2020 - As people are gathering in groups more - I have decided to work mainly from
home - I have worn a mask indoors - to get used ti it - for one & a half hours - washing up - with
it on - better than expected - discarded mask - have six more - I used one with the metal at the
top - I bent it to my nose - very comfortable - I even answered a scam call - in it ` thank you for
calling `- then put phone down - blocked that line too - after.

Sept 8th - 2020 - England report more cases of the virus - as do Wales - total lock down in one
county town - the second wave - may be here - or are the young acting irresponsibly - rave`s & crowding on the beach - maybe.

Sept 9th - 2020 - Virus winning at the moment - England - Scotland - Wales & Northern Ireland
have re- introduced their own restrictions - who can meet & where - in houses - more deaths
occurring in England & Scotland - France & Spain worse - as holidays got under way - more virus
detected there - Is this the second wave - or the young not caring so much - more masks re-introduced - as the world gets to grips - with the virus - Meridian announced - Stirling Bomber
has been found in a dutch lake - several parachute clips found on site - plane may be restored
in Rochester - if released by Holland..

Sept 10th - 2020 - My birthday was in 1927 -  now 93 - a party in the garden arranged - news of
Bolton in Lancashire - the worst cases of the virus in Britain - further restrictions imposed - from
Monday by Boris - I will have to revue my walking out - as people dont respect your age - on the
pavements now - pass too close - I stand by to let others pass - if room - some dont.

Sept 11th - 2020 - Many more areas in Northern England - near lock down - Manchester area.

Sept 12th - 2020 - Went out for a long walk yesterday to Rochester - to see about getting a flu
jab - found one in a shop window - registering starts on Sept 14 - then met a lady who is going
to register too - arrange to go together - when flu jab time - is known.

Sept 13th - 2020 - Went for a nice walk this morning - to Rochester Cathedral - without using a walking cane -a distance of a mile each way - I visited the new rail station - as well - saw the new houses & flats there - behind station - including a Co-op store - New virus restrictions tomorrow ?

Sept 14th - 2020 - Latest news - possible life on Venus - announced today - in cloud formation
Is the new rule - announced over the week end - working - in this fine hot weather - today 30 %
Only six people to visit one household - from two families - weddings events down from 30 guests.

Sept 15th - 2020 - Great day for the R.A.F. in 1940 - Birmingham Solihull & Sandwell in trouble -
over the virus - must not mix in households - virus up in those places.

Sept 16th - 2020 - What A day - I was reading a paper - when the T.V. went off - five minutes
later - my broadband followed it - I checked the mains - then the plugs - changed two of the
fuses - I did this & that - no good I called our handyman - he got T.V. going - not the computer -
I could write my stories & type them in - but not emails - Virus worse in Newcastle earea.

Sept 17th - 2020 - no Broadband - so phoned B.T - could not get through - (try 12 to 6 pm) - less
busy - I had a lot to type - phoned at 12.30pm - got through a man- explained it all  -press this &
that - `hang on the phone & I will check the line`got cut off - phoned again - in queue - lady this
time - same questions - hang on while I check the line - I did - 5 then 10 minutes - then a ring on
the door bell - OH no - I cant stop now - she comes back on the line about - I will send you a new broadband box - tomorrow - then the handyman comes in - with a broadband box - he puts it in
line - perfect - so I have  broadband back & a new box delivered through the letter box tomorrow.
More places - near lock down in the North East - & South Wales.

Sept 18th - 2020 - I have just watched a programme on BBC 4 - about Captain Eric Brown - does
not ring a bell - He became a pilot in the R.A.F. before the war - then later he was asked to join
the Fleet Air Arm - later to become their senior test pilot - He had flown 487 aircraft - in his career.
All variations of the Spitfire - Hurricane - & other aircraft - & many other aircraft - he liked the Typhoon - the aircraft used later - to tip the wing of a flying bomb - first person to land a plane -
on a aircraft carrier - later a Mosquito - first to land - on carrier - he died - only 4 years ago at 97.
Second wave of the virus coming  ? -- seems like it - I past `Weatherspoons `pub on Sunday -
full up with drinker`s downstairs - no distancing - at all. North East of England - near lock down.

Sept 19th - 2020 - I sign up for a Flu Jab on the 30th of Sept. Now are we near to another lock down - I booked one in a nearer chemist - for my jab - managed to book for Tuesday Sept 22 - Confirmed Virus cases up to 3000 + many more deaths reported - Scotland - Wales - N. Ireland - doing better than - England - less cases & deaths. Booked foot clinic for Sept 25th - usual venue.

Sept 20th - 2020 - Dinner at daughters spoke to  ex conversation - not words - she is waiting for
operation - to repair the second cataract one - eye gone cloudy. No good news from Lancashire -
county almost near full lock down - Blackpool included - Manchester area - & North East too.

Sept 21 st - 2020 - How many went to Blackpool beach on Sunday - it was a fine day in Kent.
I have a re-vised flu jab date - tomorrow - in case of an early lock down - Feet date - Friday ?

Sept 22nd - 2020 - Boris Johnson will announce further restrictions at 12.30 pm today - More counties in Wales in lock down in the evenings - in four counties - Second wave here ?

Sept 23rd - 2020 - More shut downs likely - as in the north - cases rises.

Sept 24th - 2020 -  Government announce new measures to control virus - 15 people instead
of 30 people - maximum now -

Offline Pete

« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2020, 08:45:22 AM »
That's to ram the message  home  ;D

Offline Nemo

« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2020, 06:26:19 PM »
Here in Dover, social distancing is measured in supermarket trolleys. In Wales, however, the unit of measurement is (obviously):

VISIT ELAN VALLEY SAFELY

• Observe latest Welsh Government guidance on local travel
• Keep 2m apart (that’s about 2 sheep).

Edit: mind ewe, we be having sheep in Kent too...

Offline castle261

« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2020, 10:59:35 AM »
I lost the major part of my daily log - but at least some of my observations - have been saved.

Offline dingo4638

« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2020, 10:15:07 AM »
This is an excellent blog by City of Rochester Society member Geoff Ettridge looking at epidemics in Medway over the years.

https://geofframbler.blog/2020/04/15/medway-epidemics/

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2020, 02:21:44 PM »
Might I suggest that members keep their political leanings to themselves. We all have our preferences & thoughts on how the government are doing- & they DON'T have a chrystal ball- so no more slanging matches please from now on!

Offline mmitch

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2020, 10:54:13 AM »

If you have been watching the 'Salisbury Poisonings' on BBC1 this all happened in a 'small' way two years ago. Same thing, vested interests trying to interfere with the local health director. But the Chief Constable backed her
mmitch.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2020, 04:36:39 PM »
I don't see the point of criticising; that'll  come  with  lessons learned. But neither do I see the need to blow smoke up the governments backside (or anyone else's ) at this point either.
All Iv'e done up to now is support the frontline workers and use some common sense in my daily life.

Offline CAT

« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2020, 03:57:10 PM »
Hindsight is always a cheap political tool.
Just wait for the blame-game, which will last for a further few years and could even topple a government. Could anyone have done it differently? We shall hopefully never know, though with the typical man/woman in the street more worried about getting that pointless un-needed bargain instead of being responsible for the greater good of all, who knows what will happen?

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2020, 03:21:34 PM »
The government can make as many rules/guidelines as it wants but its all a bit pointless when you see on the news the crush of people trying to get into a London west end store this morning.

Social distance average : about an inch.
Percentage wearing masks : about 15
Percentage wearing masks but not covering their noses : 25
Vital merchandise sold in the store : Nike trainers

Think what you like about Boris and his colleagues efforts do but try to make intelligent comments that do not benefit from the luxury of hindsight.
This is a pandemic, not a game about political point scoring.

Alec.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2020, 12:21:14 PM »
I blame the scapegoats