Author Topic: Sittingbourne Brick Works  (Read 1634 times)

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
Re: Sittingbourne Brick Works
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 02:33:12 PM »
Tidied up for you ,

I have just been watching, "Architecture the Railways Built". Interestingly, the London to Greenwich railway of 4 miles had to be completely elevated due to marshy ground on the South side of London. They had to build 876 arches! And 60 million bricks from Sittingbourne Brick Works were used( I've suddenly caught this bug!!), brought by barge. For those interested, (I've changed font size to 10 but watch it for it's likely to revert to 8! grrr). The line was opened in 1836 & Underneath the Arches( I dream my dreams away!!) remain in use for a variety of enterprises, notably micro breweries! For those who maybe interested in railways( is Dave the Train on the KHF ?), on Friday evening at 21.00 on Channel 5, Rob Bell will be walking Kent railways, notably the Eland Valley.

Offline Dave Smith

Sittingbourne Brick Works
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 01:32:28 PM »
I have just been watching, "Architecture the Railways Built". Interestingly, the London to Greenwich railway of 4 miles had to be completely elevated due to marshy ground on the South side of London. They had to build 876 arches! And 60 million bricks from Sittingbourne Brick W[size=78%]orks were used( I've suddenly caught this bug!![/size] >:( [/size][size=78%]), brought by barge. ([/size][/size]For those interested, I've changed font size to 10 but watch it for it's likely to revert to 8! grrr). The line was opened in 1836 & Underneath the Arches( I dream my dreams away!!) remain in use for a variety of enterprises, notably micro breweries! For those [size=78%][/size]who maybe interested in railways( is Dave the Train on the KHF 2?), on Friday evening at 21.00 on Channel 5, Rob Bell will be walking Kent railways, notably the Eland Valley.[size=78%][/size][size=78%] [/size]