Author Topic: Neros Disco, Ramsgate and Millies in Westgate  (Read 4854 times)

Online DaveTheTrain

Re: Neros Disco, Ramsgate and Millies in Westgate
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 01:56:36 PM »
The Grove Ferry acquired its own disco venue (albeit much smaller)  in the small building to the left of the pub.  I wonder if it was established as a result of this gentleman's involvement and past experience[size=78%].  [/size]

Offline Beachbum

Re: Neros Disco, Ramsgate and Millies in Westgate
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 11:43:42 PM »
That's a great report on Nero's. I went there a few times in the old format, but became part of the furniture after it's revamp following the "Saturday Night Fever" revolution.Millies was my previous night spot, indeed it was Peter Worth. He moved onto the Grove Ferry establishment.

Offline John Walker

Neros Disco, Ramsgate and Millies in Westgate
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 02:44:39 PM »
Neros was an extremely popular disco in the 70s.  Originally, customers were served by young ladies wearing togas but it became bar service later.  The dance floor was illuminated glass panels.  There was a stage for visiting bands and the DJ console was on one side of the dance floor.  A balcony went around all four sides.  There was a large screen behind the stage where lighting effects were projected onto.
My company Socodi Music was given the job of updating the sound system and building new lighting effects to project on the screen.  The platform for the projectors was in the high ceiling above the dance floor.  Access was along a narrow walkway suspended from the original ironwork.  It was quite hairy walking along there as it tended to swing side to side.  At the end of the walkway, I had to lay on my stomach to access the lighting platform and change the effects etc.  I also updated the systems at Millies Nightclub in Westgate.  It was run by the same manager as Neros.  His name was Peter and I think his surname was Worth.