Author Topic: Customs & Excise !  (Read 3238 times)

Offline alkhamhills

Re: Customs & Excise !
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 07:29:00 PM »

Offline shoot999

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
We used to mainly work the east and south coast on our ship which was based on the outside dockyardberth opposite Upnor. On returning from our frequent trips we would report from whence we came and our intended  destination to Garrison Point I believe it was. As regulars its was just a brief friendly hello and welcome back response.
Except one trip where we were diverted to Holland. On returning we reported as usual; 'returning from Den Helder' which was acknowledged. Just as we were approaching our berth the radio crackled into life with 'where did you say you had come from again?' When we responded 'Den Helder',  it was met with a muffled conversation followed by 'err, Customs are on their way'. 
Needless to say, by the time Customs  arrived the ship was as clean as a whistle,  ;D

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 11:52:26 AM »
In my 31 years in the dockyard, I was never troubled by the Customs & Excise or the police.
Searched a few times by the dockyard police, then released.

One dockyardman I knew, used to take a (few ?) items home. One day he was stopped by the
police. Instead of stopping, he reved up his motor cycle & side car, then roared out the gate.
The policeman stopped a motor cycle coming into the yard & said ` follow that motor bike.
The result he was caught, home searched, he had dockyard small mats ( with red or green
borders ) there was even a front door mat. Also a couple of brass clocks.
What put the police on to him was, he used to hammer brass clips to straighten them, for sale.
His neighbour was so fed up with him hammering at midnight, he shopped him. He was dismissed.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 12:25:05 PM »
 The Custom & Exise office was just inside the main gate ,on the left as you entered ,can't remember if it was a permanently staffed station ,or just when ships returned from foreign parts,do know there was no love lost between the Dockyard constabulary and C&E staff.

Offline castle261

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 09:12:29 PM »
Yes Battery Corner was in No 1 basin, but at the north east corner. 464 batteries, on non nuclear subs, weighing half a ton each. Five nights work for the removal, same for returning. I have worked on them.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 05:03:50 PM »
I think I can answer that one. As far as I'm aware and I stand to be corrected, Battery Corner was at the western end of No1 Basin, opposite Upnor Castle.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 08:48:41 PM »
Where was Battery Corner in the yard, Castle261?
Cheers
DTT

Offline castle261

Customs & Excise !
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 02:50:54 PM »
While working in the boiler house at Battery Corner in Chatham Dockyard, a young Irish lad
was in charge, when a Customs & Excise man bought in a sack of confiscated cigarettes.
in a sack. ` Open the boiler door lad `. The fire was burning brightly. He proceeded to take
packs of 200 cigarettes, then into the boiler. some packets miss the the door, & dropped to
the floor. While the man`s back was turned, getting more cigarettes out of the bag, the Irish
lad pushed a couple of packets, out of the man sight, or so he thought.`Come on lad, put them in`.
So ended the lad`s FREE issue of cigarettes !