Author Topic: Alec's history challenge  (Read 6220 times)

Offline Lyn L

Re: Alec's history challenge
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 07:31:48 PM »
Alec, on the old KHF site there was quite a bit about St William, but of course lost to us all now sadly. May have been part of the Hospital thread  can't remember now. It is only across the road from me .

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 07:13:40 PM »
The nearest  history to me, would be the supposed shrine to William of Perth.

It would have been where the old St Williams Hospital was ............

I found a short but pretty decent account of him on Wikipedia. I'll put my hands up and confess its another piece of Kent history I was unaware of. Thank you Lyn.

Alec.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 06:48:10 PM »
The nearest  history to me, would be the supposed shrine to William of Perth.

It would have been where the old St Williams Hospital was and a  friend of mine believes he lives where the shrine actually  was ?  Now of course the Wisdom Hospice is in place there.

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 06:15:52 PM »
The nearest bit of history to our house is the street outside which was a Roman trackway (the upper part of City Way, Rochester).  Hard by we have Fort Horsted and Rochester Airport which was a fighter base in WWII as well as Shorts land based facility.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 05:24:59 PM »
Ellens Court stands at a tee junction on Lady Margaret Manor Road - try getting that plus a house name, into some address boxes!
The historic name there is Greet, in many forms and spellings.
Doddington is the area, although Wychling church is closer to many.
All on the North Downs area of outstanding natural beauty (aonb).
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 05:17:32 PM »
I knew nothing of these so thank you John. A quick google check tells me this is Doddington (Sittingbourne) right?

Alec.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 05:05:26 PM »
About a mile up the lane from our house stands Ellens Court. A strange oast house conversion with a distinct entrance. This was the home of Dr Josiah Oldfield a "Fruitarian" and he ran it as a hospital early in the twentieth century. There are various instances of his initials and dates inset onto walls.
He had been great friends with Gandhi and rumour has it that he once visited - on foot, of course.
The Manor House over the road had a chapel built onto it, now partially ruined, and the house is under complete renovation.
Ellens Court was used to give East End children a country holiday in the 1940s, and then became a Youth Hostel for many years. It is now a care home for adults with learning difficulties.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Invicta Alec

Alec's history challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 04:12:38 PM »
Just for a bit of fun (and maybe to judge member participation) how about telling us about the nearest piece of Kent history to where you live (or once lived) in the county?

According to Google maps I live precisely 0.9 miles from what was the nearest RAF airfield to occupied Europe during the second world war. Sages amongst you will know therefore that I live in Hawkinge.

Many years ago I lived in Beltinge which of course also has WWII connections with the testing of the bouncing bomb along the north Kent coastline at Reculver.  The history of this little corner of the county goes way back before 20th century conflicts though. At just under three miles from my former home are the twin towers at Reculver. These structures are 12th century and in themselves occupy part of the same site as the Roman settlement which existed in the first and second centuries A.D.

What do you have near to you?

Alec.