Author Topic: RFC Joyce Green HELP!  (Read 5074 times)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Headcorn Museum.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »
I wrote about this on the other site.

At Lashenden - ( Headcorn ) airfield museum - there was a piloted V1 flying Bomb - on display.
This type of aircraft was fitted with a pilot area - where a woman a pilot steered it - after  it
veered off course - a few times. Only six in the world survived - Video - of V1.
That was a few year ago - may not be there - at the moment - inquire.

epsom

Re: RFC Joyce Green HELP!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 11:24:39 AM »

As a lad I remember walking out this way to see the remains of the airfield buildings. If I remember correctly there was a tail of a German airplane from ww2 was buried in the area of the isolation hospital where it had crashed but memory fails me further I did visit the hospital when it was being pulled down and most of it was buried due to the risk of smallpox etc but I have not been out there for years.
Epsom

When I first visited Joyce Green hospital (about 55 years ago now!) The 'Isolation hospital' was beyond the main site that had a ring road round it. It was a big hospital.
There was also a farm which supplied milk etc to the hospitals! There was straw soaked in disinfectant that I drove over as barrier against foot and mouth.

mmitch.

Offline mmitch

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 10:43:49 AM »

When I first visited Joyce Green hospital (about 55 years ago now!) The 'Isolation hospital' was beyond the main site that had a ring road round it. It was a big hospital.
There was also a farm which supplied milk etc to the hospitals! There was straw soaked in disinfectant that I drove over as barrier against foot and mouth.

mmitch.

Longpockets

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 06:32:09 PM »
Just a note in case anyone else is interested. There were a few graves at Joyce Green from the RFC/RAF days.

Are these them ?

These are listed as DARTFORD CEMETERY (RFC/RAF Joyce Green Burials) see here http://www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/RAF%20JOYCE%20GREEN%20DARTFORD.pdf From Kent Fallen web site.

If they are, they are on the CWGC website as Dartford (Watling Street) Cemetery[size=1.5rem][/size]

Offline mmitch

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 03:30:23 PM »

I read the inscription several years ago and that is what I read it as. The site is mainly housing now. It did stand very overgrown for some time so I expect the graves would have been lost.
mmitch.

Offline mmitch

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 11:06:28 AM »

Just a note in case anyone else is interested. There were a few graves at Joyce Green from the RFC/RAF days. The War memorial in Gravesend Cemetery has their details carved near the base.
mmitch.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 08:47:24 AM »
Have Emailed you Mike.
Presume you have all you need on Quarter Master Sergeant Instructor Henry Edward Chaney.

Offline Mike Gunnill

RFC Joyce Green HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 12:35:41 PM »
Does anyone have any details and knowledge of the following please?  I have hit another research brick-wall!

On the night of January 19th/20th 1915 a Vickers F.B.5 Gun-bus took off from RFC Joyce Green near Dartford. On board were Flight Commander William Mansfield and his gunner QMSI Henry Edward Chaney. In the early hours of the morning, under "friendly-fire" from the ground the plane from No 7 Squadron crash landed in sloping field at Salters Heath Farm, Chevening near Sevenoaks. There was no injury except a bullet hole in the elbow of Chaney's leather coat. There is a brief mention in the Sevenoaks Chronicle but as the aircraft were then secret, the article doesn't say, very much.

* Does anyone know about this crash?
* Does anyone know what happened to Fl Commander William Mansfield?
   << now have: Captain William Henry Charles Mansfield DSO. Born Cairo October 1887 - died Brandis Corner, Devon January 2nd 1961. Returned to the Shropshire Light Infantry after RFC service.>>

Grateful for any help please.

Thank you.

Mike

( Now a Junior Member )
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >