Author Topic: Free Churchill books & records  (Read 1350 times)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: Free Churchill books & records
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 05:29:13 PM »
Churchill wartime painting of North Africa - auctioned for 8 million on TV - today - Sky 122

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 05:18:47 PM »
They are all yours Martin. Will PM you address details.

John
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 05:01:51 PM »
I've had a word with my wife (who is a history teacher) and if they are still available we would like them.  With lockdown easing, I could be over later in the week.Regards,Martin

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 04:36:49 PM »
Lastly there is a set of Six volumes of "The Second World War" by Winston Churchill.
They are published between 1949 and 1954. They include illustrations and diagrams as well as prose.
All these items are completely free, but if there are no takers within a few weeks they will end up in a charity shop or, as they may be rather overloaded with everyone's lockdown turnouts at the tip.
There may be more items yet to be discovered hiding in a box somewhere...

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 04:27:44 PM »
The second offering is a 1964 set of 12 Decca LP records of Winston Churchill's speeches. These are in a very protective, substantial, heavily embossed, decorative case. A 60page pamphlet explains the contents and has many photographs.

These were bought new by Uncle at the time of issue, and I remember him playing a couple of tracks to my parents when we visited them in Cornwall that year. They appear to be in excellent condition, and I suspect that once the novelty was over they were little, if ever, played again. He died in 1991, and they have not been played since.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
Free Churchill books & records
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 04:10:09 PM »
Firstly I must thank Stuart for his agreement to let me offer these items.
They were owned by my eccentric Uncle (not a blood relation please note) who died many years ago. When my Aunt went into a Care Home in 1997 we cleared the flat, and I could not see them end up on the tip so I have kept them ever since. I have no particular interest in them and as we are trying to declutter it would be nice if they could go to new, appreciative, homes.
As Lockdown eases I am happy to deliver them within Kent, but the nature of them is that they are quite heavy and carriage charges would be noticeable. I am near Doddington, so fairly central, and collection is also welcomed, or meeting at motorway services etc., as convenient.
The first offering is a 1951 1st Edition of "The War Speeches of Winston S. Churchill" compiled by Charles Eade in Three Volumes.The fly leaf of volume 1 has 21/1 in pencil  - twenty one shillings and 1 pence?