Military History > Gun Batteries

AA Gun Site on Romney Marsh?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Cosmo Smallpiece:
Howardws, I wouldn't hurry back. From the street view images it looks like a purpose built loading dock for lorries. The street-side door opened onto a triangular concrete parking area.

The floor of what probably remains is likely too low for a Bofors-type tower. Those that I am aware of are remarkably tall to give an impressive field of fire. That other building once to the south would seem to have blocked that.

If you did return, it would be telling to look for signs of a gun mount on the floor.

grandarog:
if you go back through retro images on GE the building was knocked down circa 2016.

Howardws:
I’ll go out there and take some photos. We’re due out on the traction engine on Friday, I’ll try to persuade my friend, the owner, that we need to go back.

Cosmo Smallpiece:
Are we in the right place? Most amused going down the road on Google streetview as there is a distinctive time shift!

Howardws:
That shows what I believe is the gun mounting, what I think is a foundation for accommodation  is below that. However, having looked at the older images was it built as a raised platform for the building shown or was the building put there because the platform was in place?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version