Author Topic: Coxheath Windmill  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Smiffy

Re: Coxheath Windmill
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 12:16:53 AM »
First Berkshire, then Kent and now Essex - that mill certainly gets around a bit ;D

bertroid

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 10:14:54 PM »
Looking at the old site you're quite correct, I'd forgotten all about it! However, I do state incorrectly there that the map is from 1856 when it is actually from 1819.

Of the post mill, the Mill's Archive says that "It is not clear why this has been filed with the Berkshire material" and states that it is in Kent. I can't find a Cox Heath in Berkshire but there is a Cox Green so perhaps this is where there's been some confusion.

I get asked to ID a lot of MA material but not this one.    Just found the painting on google, and it's been re-identified as Warley Common, Essex.    See [size=78%]https://www.rct.uk/collection/734037[/size]

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 09:34:17 PM »
Looking at the old site you're quite correct, I'd forgotten all about it! However, I do state incorrectly there that the map is from 1856 when it is actually from 1819.

Of the post mill, the Mill's Archive says that "It is not clear why this has been filed with the Berkshire material" and states that it is in Kent. I can't find a Cox Heath in Berkshire but there is a Cox Green so perhaps this is where there's been some confusion.

bertroid

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 09:13:33 PM »

This map from 1819 shows a windmill in what appears to be the correct location. I've plotted it onto a somewhat later and larger scale map so that the approximate position can be ascertained. This would put it in the middle of a modern housing estate.

The Mills archive lists a mill at Coxheath, however this is a post mill and looks like it may have been earlier than the one referred to here.

https://catalogue.millsarchive.org/the-camp-at-cox-heath

Somewhere before I've seen that map, and I suspect we've had this conversation on the old version of this site Smiffy.

It's interesting to see that there were three windmills in on or just off this road all dating from roughly the same time.  There was another at Haste Hill, Boughton Monchelsea, and another which was burned down during the completion of its building around 1825.  One wonders if there was an angry watermiller running around with fire in the middle of the night around here!

The picture on the Mills Archive by Paul Sandby is of another Cox Heath in Berkshire.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 06:32:32 PM »

This map from 1819 shows a windmill in what appears to be the correct location. I've plotted it onto a somewhat later and larger scale map so that the approximate position can be ascertained. This would put it in the middle of a modern housing estate.

The Mills archive lists a mill at Coxheath, however this is a post mill and looks like it may have been earlier than the one referred to here.

https://catalogue.millsarchive.org/the-camp-at-cox-heath

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 02:31:04 PM »
You never know bertroid, someone`s father, grandfather may have mentioned it, it`s just lurking
in someone`s mind, waiting for the trigger to bring it out.

bertroid

Coxheath Windmill
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 02:02:01 PM »

Deleted, so it can't be plagiarised (ironically)