Author Topic: Medway Cinema`s  (Read 7890 times)

Offline Smiffy

Re: Medway Cinema`s
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 04:50:09 PM »

I never went to the Empire - I can remember it being pointed out to me by Mum as we walked past but I think it had closed by then and was awaiting demolition.

pr1uk - not to be pedantic, but for the benefit of any younger readers I think you meant "d" instead of "p" when referring to prices!

Lyn, I can't remember a cafe in Nag's Head lane - whereabouts was it?

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 04:02:44 PM »
Off topic slightly, but still concerning the first date there. I had met late hubby the night before , after his "girlfriend" had to be home by 9pm ! Her Dad had the cafe which was in Nags Head lane ( someone will remember it ) , naughty Bob I suppose . Anyway it was in scooter days, he picked me up from my house in Gillingham , off we sped to Rochester to find his pal waiting by the railway bridge to tell him other girl was waiting outside the cinema, pal went and told her Bob wasn't well ( Oh dear ) . She didn't hold it against me fortunately but the family soon emigrated to OZ , and with him being in the RN then, we only had 5 days before he sailed off to sunnier climes for 9mths. The rest is history , we married in 1964.  Hope that gives yo a chuckle . Sorry Stuart  ;) .

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 09:01:02 AM »
The first cinema I went to was the Empire which was underneath the Empire Theatre there was a long tunnel going down to the doors and ticket office. It was back then 9p to get in so if you could get hold of a whole shilling it was a good day you would go to the cinema and buy 2 ounces of sweets, nearly all sweets then were 6p a quarter. Always remember the usherettes coming round with their touches and asking you to leave if they knew you had already seen the film. Back then it was great all we had indoors was the Radio Rentals Radio Box on the wall at the cinema you got Pathe News, the B film and trailers and then the main film.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 07:36:13 PM »
A few 60s tours that called in at the Odeon.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 05:59:32 PM »
Had my first date with my late hubby at the Odeon , Nov 1962 .

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 07:09:18 PM »
Just done a bit more research - the Majestic was actually renamed the Gaumont in 1950. 1962 is when it was changed to the Odeon. Closed in 1981 and then as shoot999 has already mentioned, demolished in 1987.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: Medway Cinema !
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 04:56:16 PM »
I have re-named it --- as requested !

Offline Local Hiker

Re: Ritz and Regent !
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 02:42:31 PM »
The author of thread "Reply #1" can change the subject. I have just experimented with one of the topics that I originated.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »
I think you might be able to alter the thread title if you started it, I don't know for sure. Admin certainly could - perhaps renaming it "Medway Cinemas" would be better, I think it depends on how Stuart wants to organise the forum. I do have to agree though that sometimes the old forum could be a bit over the top with this sort of thing.

Having said that, the Majestic was renamed The Gaumont in 1962 :)

Offline shoot999

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 11:19:15 AM »
I think it might be better to keep each cinema in its own thread to make it easier for searching - perhaps we should have one for the Majestic/Gaumont?

To be fair, although the thread says Ritz and Regent the OP is about cinemas in the Medway Towns in general. On the wider issue of threads I do find it a difficult one, although I understand the logic of one thread one subject, it does tend to stifle the social history side of the debate. I remember a good thread on peoples experiences in the 60s of various  boutiques; but we were informed each boutique must have its own separate thread. Pretty much killed that debate.

Just wondering. Can an OP change their thread title if for whatever reason the thread grows to encompasses wider issues?

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 05:27:03 PM »
I think it might be better to keep each cinema in its own thread to make it easier for searching - perhaps we should have one for the Majestic/Gaumont?

Offline shoot999

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 01:53:33 PM »
No idea of the exact dates but it was the Majestic from opening in 1935, the Gaumont  1950s?, and then later the Odeon. (A number of pop tour dates show it as the Odeon in early 60s).  Demolished in 1987.

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 10:11:06 AM »
Wasn't this the old Gaumont just along from Star Hill? If so when was it's name changed?
AlanTh.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 08:18:29 AM »

A brief video of the Majestic Rochester

This was one of my 'patches' as a kid in the 50s. Meeting place on the steps when it was  raining, penny for the guy spot, and of course Saturday morning pictures.
Come the 60s and it was pop concerts and courting. Best spot was at the back at the side of the pillars. You could hear the usherette/manager coming long before they could see you :)

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 07:32:50 AM »
I remember the Ritz and Regent they were posh and expensive 1/3 that's one shilling and three pence whereas the Empire was 9 pence but back then cinema was a treat.