Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth II  (Read 1802 times)

Offline mmitch

Re: Queen Elizabeth II
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 10:25:18 AM »
I first saw the Queen after the 1952/3 floods She came to Gravesend on her tour of the area. My Mum took us to see her in her car. I remember thinking she didn't look much older than my sister Mary (then 18) R.I.P ma'am.
mmitch..

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 09:36:02 AM »
That may have been when I saw the Queen and Duke (actually I'm not sure if the Duke was there now...) being driven past the old cricket ground StuartW. I was standing all on my own opposite the hotel and got a nice wave.
AlanH.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 04:15:56 PM »
My Wife worked as a cleaner at Brompton Barracks when the Queen visited. The army had spent thousands refurbishing a toilet for her to use and had laid on a big exhibit on the Parade Ground. The Queen duly arrived by helicopter, landing on the Garrison Sports Ground and was taken by car to the Barracks. On getting out of the car in the middle of the Parade Square, her flunkies and the Army Brass tried to usher her towards the exhibit they had laid on. Her Majesty was having none of it and instead, made a beeline towards the tea hut, where my Wife was working. She had a cup of tea out of a polystyrene cup like everyone else and only once she had finished that, did she go see their exhibit. The thing that struck my Wife about was how small the Queen was. My Wife is only 5ft 1 and she was quite a bit taller than Her Majesty.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 11:14:57 AM »
I was 8 at the time of the old King dying and at St Margaret's Rochester when we were told. At that age it didn't mean a lot of course, but the Queens passing has, definitely very sad.
Long live King Charles the Third.
AlanH.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 05:35:00 PM »
Queen Elizabeth II is now reunited with her dear Phillip .RIP.

It is truly a sad time for all the Royal family and the great family of folks our Lovely Queen Ruled over. It is a great loss and all our condolences are extended to them. Prince Charles is now Proclaimed King Charles III. God Save The King.

1952 .I was in my last year at Primary school when King George VI died. We were called in from playtime and told and then sent home for the day. In those days we only had a radio. I remember Dad and mum listening when the funeral was happening. It must have been a Bank Holiday as dad was at home. I don't think it had so much of an impact on me as I remember the Coronation the following Summer in much more detail. I am pretty sure we didn't have a daily newspaper at home just the East Kent Gazette local paper once a week. I can vaguely remember newsreel of the funeral at Saturday morning pictures.

I wonder what our 11year olds of today will remember of our Queens funeral in 70 year's time, when like me they are in their 80's.

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 04:55:47 PM »
I was still a little short of my second birthday when Elizabeth's reign began, so I've only ever known her as head of state.
Rest now, our great Queen.

Alec.  :(

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 07:39:33 PM »
Queen Elizabeth reigned for as long as I have lived, I have known no other monarch. A truly honourable and gracious lady who served her Country first and so very well.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 05:07:43 PM »
Yes a wonderful Queen - R.I.P.

I met her Majesty in Kent, was invited to have a cup of tea with her, she spoke a few words to me.
Later, I was invited to a Royal Garden Party at Buckingham Palace - no tea this time.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 07:13:47 PM »
The Prime Minister has announced it - God save King Charles III.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Queen Elizabeth II
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 06:34:50 PM »
Just heard the news, the Queen has died.  :'(