Leisure, Sport and Entertainment > Retail

Featherstones Memories Project - 351 High Street Rochester

<< < (3/3)

Natasha Steer:

Natasha Steer:
Hi forum members! I am a long term follower here and I would like to introduce the 'Featherstones memories project' that myself and George Atzev from Future Chatham are running. We are specifically concentrating on 351 Chatham House at the moment and we want to hear your memories of Featherstones and see any items or photos you have please! This is part of the High Street Heritage Action Zone project, as Chatham House is thankfully being restored due to a grant through this project.

See more at https://www.medway.gov.uk/news/article/1082/work_to_revitalise_one_of_medway_s_historic_listed_buildings_is_well_underway

This building has an interesting history having been built in the 1700s for the Hulkes brewers family. It was known as Brewers mansion locally and in the family for many years. It was taken over by John Featherstone in around 1909 with the shop front being added in 1936. The store was 'Everything for the home' with the addition of a toy store in the actual house. The Featherstones system meant that people could buy items on interest free credit, which was very rare at this point in history. So you could furnish your home and have something other than 'black out curtains' post World War 2 in an affordable way. I have a few photos here that I have collected, please post any others you have and also any memories you have of Featherstones. Look forward to hearing from you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version