Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1033682 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #5920 on: January 05, 2022, 11:05:56 PM »
NatWest Bank, Gillingham High Street ?

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #5919 on: January 05, 2022, 06:21:03 PM »
What and where is this?
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #5918 on: January 05, 2022, 05:08:26 PM »
Thank you for that both of you. I have a pic to post but it's at home, so I'll post it in a while.

As for the Water Works, I drove past it quite frequently on my way to the Sewage Works at Dambridge Farm just outside Wingham. I've also spent a few nights working on the pumping station just behind the High Street in Wingham.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline CAT

« Reply #5917 on: January 05, 2022, 04:11:39 PM »
I think you have it stuartwaters as you got the location and I just needed the final clarification.

The inscription on the front of the building says 'Margate Water Works' as it was built by the Margate Corporation between 1903-5 to supply pumped water to the Fleet reservoir and then onto Thanet. It draws water from  three separate wells, each over 100ft deep into a tunnel system extending over two miles around the immediate area of the wells.

For those not in the know, its located beside the main road roughly midway between the villages of Wingham and Aylesham.

So over to you stuartwaters

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #5916 on: January 05, 2022, 03:24:49 PM »
Give it to Stuart please Cat.He found it. I already knew where and what it was. :)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #5915 on: January 05, 2022, 02:06:00 PM »
Who are you giving this one to CAT? I got the location, but grandarog's answer was more accurate than mine. Don't mind either way....

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #5914 on: January 05, 2022, 01:06:27 PM »
Grade II listed, see https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1363294?section=official-listing
I notice that the distinctive stack has been removed, presumably on electrification.
  • Grid: TR 24307 55335
  • WGS84: 51°15'11"N, 001°12'47"E

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #5913 on: January 05, 2022, 12:26:21 PM »
It is "Margate" as it was built as a pumping station Waterworks to supply the towns needs from the water source springs at Wingham.. .
Donate the Brownie Point to Stuart.  :)

Offline CAT

« Reply #5912 on: January 05, 2022, 12:07:21 PM »
It is indeed commonly known as Wingham Waterworks building, but for the extra virtual point, what is the more distant town name inscribed on the front of the building?

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #5911 on: January 05, 2022, 10:39:01 AM »
Wingham Water Works by any chance?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #5910 on: January 05, 2022, 09:45:45 AM »
Passed by this Guess many times when collecting Vegetables from a Farm. :)
Will hold back for a while ,give Newby's a chance.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #5909 on: January 05, 2022, 08:38:15 AM »
Interesting.  The granary is not listed although the farmhouse is: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1049087?section=official-listing  Both though do lie within the scheduled monument.  There's an entry for Coldred in Wikipedia that mentions the manor.
  • Grid:  TR 27429 47556
  • WGS84:  51°10'55"N, 001°15'10"E

Offline CAT

« Reply #5908 on: January 05, 2022, 08:35:06 AM »
Many thanks stuartwaters

I remember sitting on the steps of the granary eating a sandwich after walking there from Canterbury one distant summers day. Then the owner use to leave the door open and the steps in place so you could inspect the interior, which then was all complete with its stowage bins either side of a central walkway.

Here is my next offering, which despite possessing a name of another Kentish town on its façade is a fair distance from it. It can be seen from the road on Google Streetview, but due to roadside trees not clearly from this direction.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5907 on: January 04, 2022, 11:54:49 PM »
A fascinating story of your family tree Stuart.  Something to be very proud of.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #5906 on: January 04, 2022, 02:21:48 PM »
CAT has it, well done!

The maternal side of my family has a memorial stone in the cemetery there. Because that side of my family are Romany Gypsies who had settled in the area and because many years ago the church authorities would not allow them to be buried in consecrated ground, they were buried outside or cremated and paid for a stone to be put up with their names carved on it. My Grandmother, my mum and uncles' names are engraved on the stone, along with various cousins. My Grandmother married my Grandfather in the church there too in 1927.

Over to you CAT.