Author Topic: The Bridge Wardens.  (Read 1651 times)

Offline AlanTH

Re: The Bridge Wardens.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2023, 11:40:36 AM »
When I lived nearby and drank there it didn't have those awful adverts plastered all over it. :( Reading from afar here in Oz it seems so many of the old local pubs throughout the country have been demolished or are now housing complexes or flats.
AlanTH.

PS. Nice to see a couple of LR Defenders outside.... I've had 3 of them plus 2 Discos so am a bit of a LR fan (nut job?) :)

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 01:18:19 PM »

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 12:06:32 PM »
When I went to ballroom dancing classes at Thomas Aveling School, our end-of-term drink used to be at the Bridge Wardens.  Not being a Medway resident at that time (I was living in Milton Regis) I had no idea who or what Bridge Wardens were.  What is more surprising, none of the other students (some of whom were long- or life-time residents had no idea also.  Can't really comment on the beer, I had a motorway drive ahead of me and was on the lime and lemonades. >:(

Offline AlanTH

The Bridge Wardens.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 10:12:12 AM »
Anyone else here ever drink at the 'Bridge' up the Tideway in Rochester? It was built around 1956 from memory and my dad drunk there (and many other pubs when he was fit which wasn't often) and I started my boozing career there when I was around 16 ....
The Landlord as they were known then, was Arthur Toyer who used to run the Red Lion down at Star hill before it was demolished. His wife's name was Connie and their son was Craig, more commonly known as Tom Toyer. :) He was a haemophiliac. 
I worked there for a short period after finishing my apprenticeship at Blaw Knox but had to give up as I was working long hours on a shutdown job at the paper mills at Gravesend. 
I believe it's long gone now but wondered if any others had memories of the pub as it used to be quite a good place for a drink way back then.
AlanTH.