Author Topic: Henry Hill - photographer  (Read 1937 times)

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
Re: Henry Hill - photographer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 09:04:07 PM »
If you have problems i can put it up for you. :)

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 06:47:25 PM »
I had forgotten about that. When I tried to join before there was some issue with a btinternet email, but I'm now gmail so I'll try again.
Thanks for that
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 06:00:26 PM »
I would suggest you put the photo up on the Armed Forces Military Board of Rootschat.com. Some very knowledgeable folk on there.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 11:43:50 AM »
Johnf. As he is wearing a pith helmet, it's almost certain that would be in the Middle East- Britain were very active in Mespot ( Mesopotamia) around that time- or some other tropical "paradise"? If a sapper, the note book could well be for taking down readings given to him from the other colleague. Although possible, the setting looks too elaborate for a studio portrait.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
Henry Hill - photographer
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 10:38:07 AM »
I have a photo of two uniformed men in a Henry Hill of New Brompton frame. Other photos by him of military gents in similar frames are usually described (ebay etc) as Victorian.

In trying to get a vague date I have checked the Census returns. He was born in Luton 8th July 1857, his father Thomas being a Grocer.
In 1881, aged 23, he was still with his family who by now were Grocers and Butchers at 1&3 Paget Street, Gillingham.
By 1891 he was married and living at Emmeline Villa, Canterbury Street, near the junction with Adelaide Road, and described as a Photographer. 1901 the family were at 156 Canterbury Street, and 222 Canterbury Street in 1911.
A 1903 Electoral Roll also shows him with a property at 123 High Street, New Brompton - roughly where Boots is on GSV. Was this the studio?
Any one with a Kelly's or two?

1939 Register has him retired to Bromley, where he died, aged 95 in 1952.
So the questions are:
What are the uniforms? When were they worn? Who are they, and why are they looking at notebooks?
I did wonder if one of them was Harold Smitherman, father of Frank (see other thread). Royal Engineers, Malta in 1911 then Mesopotamia before India during and after WW1.
Illegitimus nil carborundum