Author Topic: Sentinel S4  (Read 1703 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: Sentinel S4
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 07:22:45 PM »
Yes, I worked as a shipkeeping assistant firstly as a volunteer and then as a paid employee under Chris Jones alongside Dave Appleton (carpenter/painter) and Jez Clark (Fabricator/Welder). After my fixed term contract with the Trust came to an end, I moved over to working for Mick Cooper for three years. Happy days but no money in it. I remember big Bill and Julian well.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 06:48:27 PM »
Slightly off topic I know, but many years ago when I worked in Chatham Historic Dockyard, there was a fella making replacement boilers for steam trucks. They were made from old iron or steel pipes he had to heat up to white hot to work flanges onto the ends. A lot of work went into them and it took him a fair amount of time to fabricate each one. I dread to think what he sold them for but the last time I met him, he had four or five on the go.

if I recall correctly  Stweart, we're you there when Chris was in charge of the workshop? If so, that would have been Julian.  Or if earlier it may have been The late Bill Hedges, but that was in the 90s.  Julian was making Sentinel boilers in six slip, annexe.  Happy days.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 12:41:11 PM »
I miss Doug's input, he was unafraid to ask questions or comments on any thread, even those outside his area of expertise, which appeared to be anything steam or railway related.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 12:38:30 PM »
Slightly off topic I know, but many years ago when I worked in Chatham Historic Dockyard, there was a fella making replacement boilers for steam trucks. They were made from old iron or steel pipes he had to heat up to white hot to work flanges onto the ends. A lot of work went into them and it took him a fair amount of time to fabricate each one. I dread to think what he sold them for but the last time I met him, he had four or five on the go.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 11:47:53 AM »

Incidently, anyone heard of how Sentinel S4 is,  son of the Oracle, that was on the old Kent Forum. I thought he would have been on here,

Rog, Doug (S4) is fine.  He visits my shed from time to time.  I know he is busy working, being a grandad and decorating.  I expect we will see him at Christmas as we have an Xmas meal for all the chaps who help with my steam engine.
DTT

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 06:11:34 PM »
Shes local in Kent. Belongs to Derek Gransden of Newnham . Dont know where he garages it. Bit of info here.

1933 Sentinel S4 Steam Waggon (affectionately known as The Lion) – The Vintage Screw Company

Classic assortment out in Kent | Heritage Machines

This id Dereks Facebook Page.
(2) Derek Gransden | Facebook

Incidently, anyone heard of how Sentinel S4 is,  son of the Oracle, that was on the old Kent Forum. I thought he would have been on here,

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 03:42:49 PM »
Lucky blighter!  I shall disappear into a pool of envy.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
Sentinel S4
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 02:36:54 PM »
i was sitting in the car waiting parked outside Doughtys butchers in Doddington earlier today when a strange chuffing sound made me check the mirrors.

Coming out from Chequers Hill onto The Street was a chocolate brown Sentinel steam waggon. It accelerated along past me making a wondrous noise and leaving a trail of smoke and steam and a smell of my youth, steam trains being a significant part of that time.

It was sign written “Devon Trading Co, Bideford”, so a bit far from home.

According to the net it is a 1933 Sentinel S4, fully restored and known as “The Lion”. Pictures are on the net.

Anyone know why it is here, and if it can be seen anywhere?
Illegitimus nil carborundum