Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1041409 times)

KeithG

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #1524 on: April 15, 2020, 04:34:00 PM »
MartinR...... in a Cathedral / Church a house or just an alleyway off a street?

KeithG

« Reply #1523 on: April 15, 2020, 01:54:14 PM »
You do have to sign in to see them and they are automatically there but small.
Click on the picture and it enlarges
Apart from that.... that is it

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #1522 on: April 15, 2020, 12:30:05 PM »
Oh sorry Dave have just seen your post.

The pictures just appear for me  and I'm like you , an ignoramus when it comes to computers. Best to ask Stuart I think or one of the other men who post frequently.
Hope you do get them , I hop in and out most days for a peep. x

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #1521 on: April 15, 2020, 09:58:24 AM »
Lyn L. How do you get all the pictures please? They never appear for me( a computer ignoramus!).

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #1520 on: April 14, 2020, 11:52:02 PM »
My first though was Rochester High Street, but then I thought about the chain.  I've walked past it (when that was still an option) on my way from a parking space to the St. Gregory's Centre for Music.
Here's the next one.  Getting the building is the bare minimum, but why are those stairs walled off and where in the building is it?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #1519 on: April 14, 2020, 11:38:44 PM »
That was quick MartinR - Have you visited?

Originally operating as the "Vines" this establishment was listed as the "New Inn" by 1861. However, Kelly's directory managed to call this "Ye Vines" in 1900.
The "New Inn" was an Ind Coope House, previously Bushell, Watkins and Smith. Bushell's of Westerham bought (from solicitors acting as liquidators/administrators) the small tied estate of the Original Brewery, Broad Street, Canterbury, which was owned/bankrupted by Mr Alfred Beer (related to Edwin?) Not to be confused with George Beer (brother of Alfred) of the Star Brewery, Broad Street. Both sons of William Beer, of the St Augustine's Brewery, who (it would appear) did not get on, hence the rival breweries over the road from each other!

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #1518 on: April 14, 2020, 07:53:04 PM »
New Inn, Havelock St, Canterbury

Offline John Walker

« Reply #1517 on: April 14, 2020, 07:23:41 PM »
Thank you MartinR.   The horse thing took some searching :D .  A church I hope to visit sometime when we're allowed out again.....

Next one ...

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #1516 on: April 14, 2020, 03:17:53 PM »
Well done John, you've covered all points.  The listing includes the mounting block at the west end.  The tenor bell has the inscription "Sancte Andree Ora Pro Nobis" (Saint Andrew pray for us) which is odd since the dedication has always been to St Thomas.
References:
http://kent.lovesguide.com/tower.php?id=449 - details about the bells and a good photo of the west end showing the mounting block.
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1277450 - Historic Englan listing, gives the earliest date.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #1515 on: April 14, 2020, 02:11:16 PM »

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #1514 on: April 14, 2020, 11:58:31 AM »
You are all quite safe ! I don't know this one  :P .
Love seeing all the Guess The Place photo's , just don't know many of them. x

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #1513 on: April 14, 2020, 11:24:08 AM »
Here's an atmospheric picture of a Grade I building for you, the original church may date from 1294.  It is interesting that the dedication on the tenor bell is not the same as that of the church.  Bonus points if anyone can explain the equestrian edifice at the west end.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #1512 on: April 14, 2020, 11:18:58 AM »
44 is what GSV quotes, but that may be the other side of the Road.  I modified my answer to mention that the ginnel leads down to Dunning's Lane if that helps.

Thats it. Its the odd numbers on that side, and they are out of sync with those opposite. Its numbers are 97-99. And the alleyway was Dunnings Lane.

It was originally the Foresters Arms, and subsequently Baldwins Motorcyles where I used to buy my bikes from.

And the KHF connected which Lyn L spotted straight away?  It was the childhood home of the well respected and sorely missed Peter Challis.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/kent/rochester_forestersarms.html 

Over to you.  :)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #1511 on: April 14, 2020, 11:02:44 AM »
44 is what GSV quotes, but that may be the other side of the Road.  I modified my answer to mention that the ginnel leads down to Dunning's Lane if that helps.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #1510 on: April 14, 2020, 11:00:24 AM »
Upper floor of two private houses at 44 Maidstone Rd, Rochester.  End terrace, next to an alley whose name I can't see on GSV.

I think you have it, but its not No 44.