Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1042233 times)

Offline CAT

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #9541 on: February 01, 2024, 08:26:37 AM »
It was not the Medway Towns MartinR as it is the remains of the main gate to Archcliffe fort on the southern outskirts of Dover. Originally a small detached defended promontory with a stone tower during the fourteenth century, it is suggested that a wealthy merchant built a small chapel on the plateau in praise of his safe deliverance from a channel shipwreck. The area was seen as possessing a defensive use as it overlooked the former 'Pier District' of Dover, which was regarded as a town beyond the main town of Dover. Initially thought to be a series of earthwork banks and ditches with gun platforms, by the seventeenth century the defences were enhanced by a substantial stone walls with projecting 'arrow point' angle bastions within a dry moat and formal gateway. In time these evolved with the changes to cannons and by the Napoleonic War was a detached fortlet in its own right. Situated at the end of the South Lines (an extensive brick lined dry moat encompassing and linking the Drop Redoubt and the Citadel), its function as a defensive position was greatly reduced when the coastal railway route between Dover and Folkestone cut the eastern end of the original plateau causing its defensive effectiveness to be compromised. Down graded to a small barracks and military administration site, its subsequent modern use is by a homeless charity. Whilst many of the original military buildings have been heavily altered, some are still extent and being used by the charity, though the forts remaining lengths of outer walled fortifications survive almost unaltered.

After my ramblings its over to you Stewie   

Offline Stewie

« Reply #9540 on: January 31, 2024, 05:13:50 PM »
Is it Archcliffe Fort?

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #9539 on: January 31, 2024, 03:52:44 PM »
Medway Towns?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #9538 on: January 31, 2024, 01:38:46 PM »
Well known by me ,will hold off for others to try. :)

Offline CAT

« Reply #9537 on: January 31, 2024, 12:56:41 PM »
Many thanks MartinR

My deduction of where it was from was purely looking at an elevated position to the north-northwest and saw a very convenient picnic spot with far reaching views across the right area. More luck than judgement I think.

My next is a lesser known military installation, but where?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #9536 on: January 30, 2024, 08:42:02 PM »
No Problem MartinR, I should have read the posts after the Photo.  :-[ Doh

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9535 on: January 30, 2024, 08:23:43 PM »
Sorry Grandarog, CAT got it earlier at 03:35 pm.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #9534 on: January 30, 2024, 06:18:14 PM »
Is it Kitts Coty ,taken from the North Downs Trail?

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9533 on: January 30, 2024, 04:53:29 PM »
I knew it would be recognised easily, though I hoped the odd angle might throw someone.  Yes its Kits Coty House.  More impressive is your deductions about the camera site.  It was indeed just to the edge of the car park/picnic area.  I haven't got a record of the lens in the EXIF, but I think I was using the 500mm with a doubler which with an APS-C sensor is equivalent to 1600mm (say 106x optical).  I was experimenting and having problems with (1) the wind and (2) my hips.  The exposure was 1/60, what I should have done was push the ISO up and hence use a shorter exposure.

Well done for working out the camera position, and over to you.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #9532 on: January 30, 2024, 04:44:21 PM »
I’ll second that CAT, I got the “red message” as I was about to type pretty much the same answer.

That is some serious magnification, but I have a camera with a digital assisted zoom up to x38, tripod or sturdy fence post required!
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline CAT

« Reply #9531 on: January 30, 2024, 03:35:55 PM »
P.S. forgot to say Kit's Coty

Offline CAT

« Reply #9530 on: January 30, 2024, 03:34:00 PM »
I know the place (easy), but I'm guessing due to the blur to the pic its from a slight elevated distant position away to the north-northwest? Not knowing the area intimately I wonder if its from the Bluebell Hill Picnic Site off Common Road?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9529 on: January 30, 2024, 12:35:22 PM »
Sorry, my fault.  the photo wasn't showing because I forgot to add it.  Oops!  It was late and I was hurrying.  Mea culpa.

No worry Martin.  I thought my aging PC was playing silly buggers again.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9528 on: January 30, 2024, 12:34:15 PM »
Right, let's try to get it correct this time.  What is the photo of, and where was the camera.  both parts needed.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9527 on: January 30, 2024, 12:24:45 PM »
Sorry, my fault.  the photo wasn't showing because I forgot to add it.  Oops!  It was late and I was hurrying.  Mea culpa.