Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1041014 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #9264 on: December 02, 2023, 11:17:40 PM »
You have it JohnFilmer.  :D    Over to you.

Info from the Historic Canterbury website,
The wall is the remains of St. Lawrence House, or hospital, built in the reign of Stephen, by one of the abbots of St. Augustine's Monastery; it was abolished in the time of Mary, - on the pier of an old gateway is a half obliterated representation of St. Lawrence on a gridiron, attended by two men. 1838 directory

The hospital was founded by Hugh the Abbot of St. Augustine's in 1137, and he granted it 21 acres of land in Canterbury, as well as land in Chislet and in Sturry, it also had one mill.

Hamo, Lord Marourd, Blen, Lavington, Estrusted, Biersted, now called Brasted, Nettlested, Ditton, and other lands in the county of Kent was sheriff of that county at the time of the general survey, made by order of William the Conqueror, and entered in Doomsday-book, which is still preserved in the Exchequer. He continued sheriff to the middle of the reign of King Henry I. for in the year 1111, Hugh, Abbot of St. Augustine's, granted Bodesham and Smetheham to Hamo, and at the same time Hamo made a grant of other lands, in the town of Fordwich to the said Abbey. The records of Christ Church, Canterbury, and the deeds of the hospital of St. Laurence, prove, that one of the name of Hamo held the lands above-mentioned in the reigns of King Richard II. and King John.

(March 21, 1520) *from the will of Dame Elizabeth THURSTON of London, widow, late wife of Sir John Thurston, knight, citizen and alderman of London, deceased (formerly wife of Thomas Wymond). ....To Dame Amy my daughter, priores of St. Laurence in Canterbury, xlli. To buy lands for their sisterhood xxli. To the said Dame Amy a fetherbed, etc., brass and pewter set aside for her in a baskett, also a blak gowne furred with mynks, and a kirtell of chamlett, my bed in the chapel chamber with sparn of silke, etc.

http://www.machadoink.com/St%20Lawrences%20Hospital.htm

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #9263 on: December 02, 2023, 09:50:25 PM »
The image is taken on the Old Dover Road, Canterbury, and would appear to be the access to a substantial old “black and white “ building, on the corner of St Lawrence Forstal. Another entrance is blocked on the corner of the two roads.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #9262 on: December 02, 2023, 08:03:25 PM »
Yoakley Almhouses at Margate?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9261 on: December 02, 2023, 05:32:53 PM »
JohnFilmer, I didn't find it offensive as I guessed you meant the management of the NHS rather than the amazing guys at the coalface who have looked after MartinR so well.

Anyway -back to the GTP.

0.5 Km from a hospital
On one of the original routes to Dover.
Railway line 0.5 Km to the left of the photo

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #9260 on: December 02, 2023, 05:00:10 PM »
Sorry guys, my post was meant to be humourous not offensive.

Back at the plot, any further hints? Not got anywhere with it for the last hour.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9259 on: December 01, 2023, 11:05:30 PM »
JohnFilmer and MartinR,  I can see both your points.  The staff are incredible especially when it comes to the more serious conditions.  They've certainly looked after you MartinR and I'm sorry to learn of your illness.  I hope they 'keep you alive' for many more years.  With regard to your comment JohnFilmer, the current government's lack of support for the NHS, is not good enough, we deserve better.  They appear to be hell-bent on making the NHS private in the long term.  All very complicated as we never know the truth and whether media reporting is to be trusted these days.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #9258 on: December 01, 2023, 10:44:41 PM »
I know it's fashionable to dish the NHS and I'm also very well aware that waiting times are far too long, however, the NHS generally and specifically both Maidstone Maritime and the Kent Oncology unit have kept me alive now for 5 years after diagnosis with aggressive metastatic prostrate cancer (oh and also dealt with a bladder tumour on the way).  There most certainly are modern functioning hospitals.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #9257 on: December 01, 2023, 08:41:22 PM »
A modern functioning hospital.

Isn’t that an oxymoron?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9256 on: December 01, 2023, 07:07:15 PM »
A modern functioning hospital.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #9255 on: December 01, 2023, 06:30:16 PM »
Is that a modern, still functioning, hospital or is it a historic hospital?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9254 on: December 01, 2023, 05:33:18 PM »
Entrance to St Mary’s, Eastwell?

Not there.  Near a hospital.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #9253 on: December 01, 2023, 02:41:36 PM »
Entrance to St Mary’s, Eastwell?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9252 on: November 30, 2023, 05:44:49 PM »
That was an interesting and informative GTP  :)

Next one - Easily seen on GSV

Where and what was it the entrance to?

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #9251 on: November 30, 2023, 04:24:34 PM »
I worked at Lloyds Mill in Sittingbourne during the summer of 69 (there’s a song about that  8)), by which time all had been sorted out at the creek a while before. My bus to school took me into the middle of Sittingbourne
High Street from 1962-9 and the smell had gone by then. I think that my early glimpse of the Creek was of white foam covering an unnatural blue liquid.

When I was there the mill was producing high quality cartridge paper, coated calendered papers for glossy magazines, and hardboard on a separate machine floor.

Edit… there is a Middletune Avenue in Milton, wondered where the name came from.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9250 on: November 30, 2023, 03:31:37 PM »
I wonder what caused the odour at the mill in Milton? 

I worked at Chartham Paper Mill and I don't recall any odour coming from there.  The mill produced tracing and greaseproof papers and was partly built over the River Stour.