Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040852 times)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #9112 on: October 26, 2023, 10:57:04 AM »
Free church (aka Methodist, URC, Baptist etc)?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9111 on: October 26, 2023, 10:54:17 AM »
Religious?

Yes, but appears to be multi-purpose now.  Part of a much bigger building.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9110 on: October 26, 2023, 10:22:48 AM »
Religious?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9109 on: October 25, 2023, 11:51:25 PM »
Next GTP

Where and what is this building?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9108 on: October 25, 2023, 04:57:33 PM »
Thanks for all that info that you've researched MartinR.  Once again, I've learned from GTP.

My next GTP will be up this evening.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9107 on: October 25, 2023, 12:34:55 AM »
I've just found out a little more:

"After serving Sheerness for 175 years it looked as if our United Reformed Church, with a dwindling congregation and crumbling foundations, would have to close. Yet a decade or more on and £1.5 million in fundraising later our beautiful little church has been restored to its former glory and in addition a purpose built community hub has been established."1

I haven't got a precise date on that, but if it is based on the old schoolroom date of 1832, then 175 years takes us to 2007.

"While the building work was being carried out worshippers turned to the town’s Methodist church for a place to pray. The friendship grew so strong that the two groups have returned to the new church together. An ecumenical partnership formed and the two denominations continue to walk in faith and worship together."1

So the Chapel is nor a "Local Ecumenical Project" (LEP) and is both Sheerness' Methodist and URC churches.

1https://thechurchinhopestreet.wordpress.com/blog-2/

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9106 on: October 24, 2023, 11:41:02 PM »
An interesting site.  There are two Sunday Schools and a chapel there, all labelled "Bethel".  To "begin at the beginning"; Bethel was a place, later city mentioned several times in the Bible.  The name itself means "House of God".  For more details see Wikipedia.1  As well as a few smaller sects incorporating the name Bethel, it was used simply as a name for various chapels, principally "dissenters" aka Free Church.  Just as you might have "St John's" CofE you could have "Bethel" Congregational.  Indeed this seems to be the case in Sheerness.  It appears from scanty information that William Shrubsole2 was a preacher at Bethel Chapel, Sheerness.3  Historic England has a photo dating from 2003 which shows the Hope Street church as United Reformed Church.4  the URC was formed from the 1972 union of the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches.

GSV today shows "The Church in Hope Street" as the name above the door.  The foundation stones date this building to 1882, so it is not the one that Shrubsole knew.  Next door is a Sunday School (see below) of 1832 and from the way the chapel overlaps the school and from the generally higher quality brickwork, this would indicate that the chapel is a rebuild.  The Sunday School in Hope Street is a listed building.5  Both the quick reference map and the full scale map do show Spring Garden Passage and Hare Street.  From GSV the stone above the doorway reads "Bethel Chapel Sunday School 1832".  Going around the back (courtesy of GSV) shows obviously modern extensions to the Sunday School and Chapel with the labels "The Church in Hope Street", "The Hope Street Centre" and "The Lighthouse Coffee Shop".

Turning 90° to the left right, brings up the building that Local Hiker found.  I can't find a date on this, but from the style and brickwork it is nearer in date to the Chapel than to the other Sunday School.  The map that historic England uses for the search facility shows the building as a "Factory".  If anyone is near there and can look at the foundation stones and inscription above the doorway, I'd be interested.

My understanding of this site:

1784: the first Chapel was built.
1787: the existing Chapel was extended.
1832: the Hope St Sunday School was built.  This might have replaced an earlier Sunday School.
1882: the existing chapel was demolished and the new chapel built.
c.1882: the new Schoolroom was built.
20C: the new Schoolroom was sold off or rented out for use as a factory.
late 20C/21C: the new Schoolroom is converted into flats and sold.
late 20C/21C: the old Schoolroom and Chapel have new extensions built at the rear, and the orientation changed to make this the front.

1https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethel
2https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shrubsole_(minister)
3https://wellcomecollection.org/works/vvkg2fqc
4https://historicengland.org.uk/services-skills/education/educational-images/bethel-chapel-sunday-school-hope-street-sheerness-5039
5https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1273419?section=official-list-entry

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9105 on: October 24, 2023, 05:08:44 PM »
Thanks LocalHiker. An interesting GTP.  I wasn't sure what the Bethel name was, I could only just make it out on Google.

Next one up soon.

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #9104 on: October 24, 2023, 04:57:40 PM »
Spot on and good detectiving.
I did some browsing to give some history when it was guessed, but there is not much on the internet.
It is called Hare Street Hall, and is currently 4 leasehold flats internally. Hare Street ran in front of it where the car park now is, but is not annotated on modern maps.
The Bethel religion seems to have several different sects and groups with such a name, so I cannot reference anything too specific about that either. The various groups are globally located, not just in the UK.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9103 on: October 24, 2023, 01:06:05 PM »
Found it after searching market locations - a very helpful clue.?

Rose Street, Sheerness?  I don't think the building is still a church.  Possibly a community centre?

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #9102 on: October 24, 2023, 01:47:00 AM »
Thank you Beachbum. I am not familiar with it, but googling fox on a thatched roof soon drilled down onto the property.

I took the next one on the way to the optician 2 weeks ago. (not a clue, just a statement of fact.)
It caught my eye so I snapped it. I did not have GTP in mind at the time.
I have obscured the writing over the door for now, bit too much of a clue.

I am standing on the site of a Tuesday and Saturday weekly market, just to help get things going.

Online Beachbum

« Reply #9101 on: October 23, 2023, 11:40:38 PM »
Well done Local Hiker, it is the right Building. The actual address is number 1 Bridge Road (hence the clue) on the corner of Canterbury Road.

Over to you..........

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #9100 on: October 23, 2023, 08:33:03 PM »
190 Canterbury Road, Garlinge, Margate

Online Beachbum

« Reply #9099 on: October 23, 2023, 04:47:14 PM »
If you drive into Margate via Birchington, you will see the Fox on the Roof  ;D

Online Beachbum

« Reply #9098 on: October 21, 2023, 11:41:04 PM »