Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1041043 times)

Offline Stewie

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #8259 on: April 07, 2023, 06:41:34 PM »
Whilst we were visiting, we amused ourselves in a maze as well

Offline Stewie

« Reply #8258 on: April 07, 2023, 01:41:03 PM »
Lovely place to visit but extortionately expensive. Pass again on this one.
It is a bit pricey for a visit here granderog, but you do get free readmission for a callender year!

Offline John Walker

« Reply #8257 on: April 06, 2023, 07:01:26 PM »
Like Grandarog, I know this one, and the name.  As I know it, it's hardly in the spirit of GuessTP if I go for it.  :)

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #8256 on: April 06, 2023, 06:05:15 PM »
Lovely place to visit but extortionately expensive. Pass again on this one.

Offline Stewie

« Reply #8255 on: April 06, 2023, 05:39:23 PM »
Thanks Stuartwalters, I tend only to compete those that I know and recognised this one straight away!

The next one for you, we took the grand children out for a day, so  where was I when I photographed this fellow? For those who like bonus points he has a name as well!

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #8254 on: April 06, 2023, 03:26:55 PM »
Shovell may have gone down with his ship, HMS Association and his body was washed ashore in Porthellick Cove.  Alternatively he may have drowned in Porthellick Cove whilst attempting to land from a ship's boat (used as a lifeboat).  Then again, he may have been alive (just) when he landed, but subsequently died.  Finally he may have landed alive and been murdered by a local woman who stole his ring.  Pick whichever one you prefer, no-one knows for certain.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #8253 on: April 06, 2023, 10:50:47 AM »
Stewie got the location, so I guess it's over to you.

As far as Admiral Shovell was concerned, he was amongst those lost in the disaster MartinR described. He was a survivor of a previous disaster when the Great Storm of 1703 struck the fleet at anchor in the Downs. His flagship, HMS Association survived because Shovell ordered holes to be cut in the upper decks so that it could run into the bilges and be pumped out. Otherwise the ship would have capsized under the weight of water trapped on the upper decks. The ship was blown from off Deal to the coast of Jutland (Denmark) in a matter of hours.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #8252 on: April 06, 2023, 10:13:39 AM »
Admiral Cloudesley Shovell is most famous for leading his fleet onto the rocks off the Isles of Scilly on 22 October 1707.  It's a bit unfair, although the disaster was one of the worst in British naval history (1,400-2,000 dead, four ships lost), it was mainly due to inadequate charts and the longitude problem.  Briefly, it is easy to find your latitude (N-S) because the height of the Sun by day and stars by night can be measured.  Finding you longitude (E-W) is far harder and relied upon dead reckoning¹ and taking soundings.  A good fix had been obtained the day before, thereafter the position was determined by measuring the ships' speed and noting the course steered.  At that date there was a magnetic variation of 7°W, which in practice meant that the compass bearing of ENE was nearer NEbyE.  Edmond Halley (he of the comet fame) had warned that the isles were charted 15 nm north of their true position.  The final factor was the Rennell's Current which can run (it is highly variable) at 15nm per day northwards.  So, to summarise: the navigators weren't sure exactly where they were, the Scilly Isles were 7 miles further south than charted, the ships were being pushed 15 miles per day north and were steering too far north in any case.

One positive which did come out of this was the passing of the Longitude Act seven years later which offered a prize for a suitable chronometer.  If you know the time at Greenwich, and can note when local noon is, then you can calculate your E-W position.

¹Old naval adage: "dead reckoning makes dead sailors".

Offline Stewie

« Reply #8251 on: April 06, 2023, 07:30:25 AM »
It is over the door of the Rochester Corn Exchange near Northgate in Rochester High Street. This being so, the pub that Grandarog was sitting in whilst viewing the plaque must have been the Jolly Knight.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #8250 on: April 05, 2023, 10:21:55 PM »
Saw this some years ago when having a beer in the pub across the road.
Definitely of great interest to Stuart. Will pass on this one. :)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #8249 on: April 05, 2023, 09:09:18 PM »
For information, it's a common misperception that the Romans built Watling Street. Watling Street is the name of the ancient route from Dover to the Isle of Anglesey, now known as the A2 (the Dover to London stretch) and the A5 (the rest of it).

The route was already there when the Romans arrived, all they did was straighten it and pave it (and built bridges over rivers which were previously forded).
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #8248 on: April 05, 2023, 09:03:16 PM »
Thank you CAT, that was unexpected and has caught me on the hop somewhat. I've cropped this quite radically, but should be fairly straightforward.

Where is this magnificent plaque? For additional House Points, who was the subject of it and what became of him?

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #8247 on: April 04, 2023, 11:26:46 AM »
Camera location:
  • Nat Grid:                   TR182542 / TR1828054216
  • Nearest Post Code:   CT4 5LB
  • Co-ords (WGS84):     51°14'43"N,001°07'34"E or 51.24533,1.12612

BTW, has anyone else noted a change in the forum?  When I click on the bullet list it displays the markdown code BBC (incorrectly) whereas not so long back it showed WYSIWYG.

Offline CAT

« Reply #8246 on: April 04, 2023, 11:03:16 AM »
It is indeed the village of Bridge. The main route being the old A2, itself created along the Roman Watling Street between Dover and London, and beyond via Canterbury. The ‘bridge in question was built in the eighteenth century with a double arch and still survives beneath the widened roadway. How the village got its name has been suggested by a Roman bridge crossing the Nailbourne Stream, though this is unlikely as the stream was only shallow, and seasonal, which could easily be forded when wet.

Over to you stuartwaters

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #8245 on: April 03, 2023, 05:48:43 PM »
Okay, for the sake of keeping this one alive, would the village name be Bridge by any chance?