Author Topic: Downe Scout Activity Centre to be sold  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Dave Smith

Re: Downe Scout Activity Centre to be sold
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 07:47:52 PM »
Longpockets. How sad to see the Scouts activity centre has had to close due to this pandemic. I just hope this mink strain in Denmark doesn't take hold, otherwise we really will be in trouble. I'm sure I'm not the only KHF member who had some great times with the Medway Scouts. I followed up another article shown on your post from the Hawkinge Gazzette about Folkestone & Hythe D.C. obtaining another £2m to continue their twice yearly work recycling 71,000 m3 of shingle between Fisherman's Beach & Folkestone Harbour to prevent flooding along there. That's a lot of shingle. 6 thousand x 6 wheel lorry loads, I think. Unless someone knows better/

Longpockets

Downe Scout Activity Centre to be sold
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 03:45:11 PM »
An activity centre used by generations of scouts and school children is to be sold due to the impact of the pandemic.

The Downe Scout Activity Centre, on the Bromley-Kent border, was set up in 1929 by Scout Association founder Lord Baden-Powell to train scout leaders.

The hostel and conference centre, Baden-Powell House in South Kensington, London, will also be sold.

The Scout Association said a "drastic downturn" in income since March had led to "severe financial difficulty".

It added that a "massive drop in commercial activity" had already resulted in a number of difficult decisions, including cutting services and making 100 redundancies.

The site, which comprises 86 acres of mostly woodland, regularly welcomed 20,000 annual visitors before the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-54842923?fbclid=IwAR1FWed8o_QkW-EKNlgpueAdxaAYa3atLc7OE7mloDI9AZ9uCYASM6ftu_8