Author Topic: Birthdays  (Read 6712 times)

Offline Lyn L

Re: Birthdays
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2020, 07:37:14 PM »
Well now I know what they look like, but mine yesterday was definitely a tarantula :o  it's legs spanned about 2 1/2"  across  . OK a small  tarantula  8)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2020, 06:59:13 PM »
Stuart. I wouldn't recognise a false widow spider but always catch them in a cloth before putting outside. I hate flies, so don't kill spiders.

They're about an inch across, dark brown with a white hourglass shaped mark on their back. They like dark, damp places and are commonly found lurking under manhole covers. They're not a native species but have gained a foothold in the UK. I had one crawl up inside my trouser leg and bite the back of my knee after lifting a manhole cover somewhere in London. I've also had one inside my hard hat recently but shook it out before it sank its fangs into me.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2020, 04:26:25 PM »
Castle261,
That's what I do with a glass , it's quite a tall one and when the spider eventually gives up and gets in !!  the bit of kitchen roll over the top and held tightly by me , won't let it get out until outside. Have rescued bees in the same way but always give them some sugar water first. I wouldn't know a False Widow either, they all just have horrible bodies and lots of legs ;D

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2020, 04:23:25 PM »
Hmm, flies get swatted, wasps get ushered to an open window and spiders are welcome guests.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2020, 03:24:10 PM »
My way of catching spiders, wasps, flies, is to get a wide neck bottle & a piece of card.
A small bottle for catching items on a window pane - slide bottle over object - then put
card over bottle neck - release object outside home - unharmed - For quickness use - M-T MATCHBOX.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2020, 01:27:32 PM »
Stuart. I wouldn't recognise a false widow spider but always catch them in a cloth before putting outside. I hate flies, so don't kill spiders.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2020, 01:22:26 PM »
Thank you  and the nice poem too  ;)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2020, 11:08:42 AM »
A Happy Birthday to YOU - Lyn L

You are the lady, I have not met
You are the lady, missed my net
Seems the only one, now online
Your views on topics, are all fine.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2020, 07:50:14 PM »
My job too, although I usually just pick them up and throw them out of the front door. The only ones I won't pick up are the False Widow spiders. I've been bitten by one of those and it's not an experience I'd repeat by choice. For those who've not been bitten by a False Widow spider, it's like being stung by a bee.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2020, 07:15:43 PM »
It used to be my late hubby's job but now my treat ( ugh)  and I won't even look in my shed  ;D Thanks for the birthday wish x

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2020, 07:11:46 PM »
Happy Birthday Lyn L and well done with the spider, I have the job of collecting and disposal in our house, but since moving not seen so many in our new place except when pulling down and old shed.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2020, 05:34:02 PM »
That was with great trepidation Dave,  small ones aren't a problem but this had a huge body and legs and didn't give up willingly  ;D  but I survived  it may not outside .

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2020, 04:41:37 PM »
  I have to sort out the spider problem myself . There was a tarantula sized one on my front window ( huge ) and I'm not a lover of any spiders  ;D  but a glass and a bit of kitchen roll hey presto outside we go  ::)

I admire your bravery, Lyn.  Spiders are not for me.  If I see one it gets splatted as quickly as possible with whatever is to hand.  I could not tame it into a glass.... agghhhhh  :-[ .  ps, Many happy returns of the day.
DTT

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2020, 04:18:50 PM »
Very true Dave, fingers crossed things improve sooner rather than later x
 Thanks for the birthday wishes.
Another thing with being indoors on my own, I have to sort out the spider problem myself . There was a tarantula sized one on my front window ( huge ) and I'm not a lover of any spiders  ;D  but a glass and a bit of kitchen roll hey presto outside we go. What an exciting birthday  ::)

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2020, 04:07:08 PM »
Lyn, And many happy returns from me. Us oldies all live in fear of getting something or other, such are the penalties of living all this time!