Author Topic: Man of Kent / Kentish men  (Read 5535 times)

Offline Lyn L

Re: Man of Kent / Kentish men
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 03:51:35 PM »
Thank you Alec.
Now I know my place  ;D and I will even know what my children, Grandchildren and Gt Grandchildren are with the brand new Gt baby boy ( 1st after over 20 yrs in the family ) on his way at this moment in time x

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 01:31:05 PM »

When the family moved to Kent in 1947 we settled in Ramsgate, on to Broadstairs a few years later then Gillingham in 1961. I've been in Rochester since 1965 but age is still confusing me  ;D x

Ramsgate, Broadstairs, Gillingham and Rochester!! You are definitely a Maid of Kent Lyn.  ;)

Alec.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 07:37:57 AM »
To Invicta Alec and Pete ,
Please excuse delay in replying  :P

When the family moved to Kent in 1947 we settled in Ramsgate, on to Broadstairs a few years later then Gillingham in 1961. I've been in Rochester since 1965 but age is still confusing me  ;D x

Offline Bill Jones

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 06:43:24 AM »
I have been told that despite wanting to be a Kentish man, or even a man of kent, I seem to be coming across as slightly rude, so there isn't much chance. My dear friend Hugo told me this and to make things better he is dictating this while I type (Hugo waves to everyone  :) ).

I (Bill) visited Swanscombe the other day to see a memorial I had heard about. It explains about how the motto Invicta came to be and talks about the men of Kent and the Kentish men, and how they met William the Conqueror (William the Bar steward) and agreed not to fight him if he granted their ancient rights. I am not being rude as that is what he was known as!

And now Hugo is making me say that he did all of the driving to go there! Which is really true as I am a bit nervous on the roads, but that will improve (and now he is shaking his head lol  ;D ;D ;D )

pete.mason

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 01:22:41 PM »
Oh no ! I was born in Paddington but the family moved to Kent when I was a yr old, so what am I . Was almost 74 yrs ago now, am I an evacuee ?  ::)

no, refugee  ;D

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 11:39:05 AM »
Oh no ! I was born in Paddington but the family moved to Kent when I was a yr old, so what am I . Was almost 74 yrs ago now, am I an evacuee ?  ::)

Lyn, when the family moved to Kent, where exactly did you first settle? Armed with this information you can use castle261's explanation to work out category you are in!
I'm not sure that it is a requirement to be born in the county. Racking up a good number of years living here is OK too!  :)

Alec.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 10:21:45 AM »
Having been born in Rochester I'm definitely a Man of Kent. All those born the Strood side of the Mudway are just wannabees.... :)
AlanTH.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Man of Kent / Kentish men
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 03:51:46 PM »
Well Bill - the general answer is.

Man of Kent - Born the east side of the river Medway - Ladies are - Maids of Kent

Kentish Man - Born on the west side -  of the Medway - ladies are- Kentish Maids

Some say - Man of Kent / Maid of Kent - ends at Rainham Mark.