Author Topic: KHF copyright rules  (Read 1552 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: KHF copyright rules
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 09:28:09 PM »
I know it might be a pain, but as far as I am aware, copyright remains with the author. They made the effort to research and write the material and were good enough to post it on a forum where people can read it for free when they could find a publisher and gain some financial reward for their efforts. This is one of the reasons why I was annoyed enough at the owner of the old forum to set this one up and move most of my stuff across before it got taken down.

If people want to delete posts, especially if they decide they want to leave, that's a shame, but there's little I can do about it. The ideal thing would be to avoid people wanting to leave in the first place.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

pete.mason

Re: KHF copyright rules
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 05:42:01 PM »
Let them pass to the forum otherwise you can end up with a load of disjointed messages aka garbage where key points are missing

Offline Nemo

KHF copyright rules
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 02:27:55 PM »
So far as I can tell, there are no forum rules on the copyright of members' posts and, if that is the case, then I assume posts are covered by general/ "outside world" rules.

I note that, whilst we are members, we have the (continuing?) ability to delete what we have posted and I suppose that is fair enough - he said, having deleted one of mine this morning when I belatedly spotted it duplicated someone else's!

However, I think it's a shame that one can apparently delete one's topics, especially with a view to leaving this history forum and ceasing to be a member. Having willingly shared historical information for the benefit of all, the sharing is rescinded and everyone is dis-benefitted; the information almost ceases to ever have existed. It's not a very accurate parallel, but had the information been given verbally, it would still live on with those sitting in the forum after the speaker had got up and left.

I wonder then, whether a condition of posting here should be that copyright, and by that I mean the right of read-only access, passes to KHF (.com). Of course, we have had the case where the forum itself "leaves", taking all (eg. Bilgerat!) topics and posts with it; I certainly don't find that acceptable either, so I'm at a loss to know what the answer is...