Author Topic: What about information on the old Kent History Forum site  (Read 11233 times)

dave.green

Re: What about information on the old Kent History Forum site
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2020, 02:57:21 PM »
Thanks. Explains why I couldn't visit the 'old site' and copy the posts that I put up to transfer to the new forum.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2020, 10:33:27 PM »
And don't forget that the old forum STILL isn't secure. This means that any personal data you put on there, for example your e-mail address, is vulnerable to being hijacked or stolen. Look for the little padlock symbol on your browser address line. This website IS secure, so you can put your personal data on it without fear of it being stolen or hijacked.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

bertroid

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2020, 08:29:52 PM »

Now apparently being called The original Kent History Forum Archive.

"Ken History Forum Archive will reopen once essential work has been carried out, please check back!" although I'm not sure who Ken is!

Anyway, at least it might be coming back in archive form.

KeithG

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2020, 08:17:06 PM »
This may be the most important find as removed post's on the old forum due to Maintenance have already been copied to the digital archives ?

I have just successfully been there on my mobile with posts to 2018.....

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020, 05:08:34 PM »

This link will take you to the page where all of the snapshots can be found. As you say though, the coverage is sketchy and you still may not find what you're looking for. Could still be of some use if the old forum remains unavailable.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190601000000*/http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk

Clicking on this link directly won't work, you have to select it all and then chose "go to web address" or copy and paste in url bar.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2020, 04:24:32 PM »
***  Access possible via digital archives ***

I can still access parts of it by the waybackmachine.  If you don't know what this is, then I suggest a quick look at Wikipedia (see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayback_Machine)

This is an imprint for March 31st 2018 which should help.  You may find other dates may or may not work.  And indeed some of the sub-pages.  If a page does not work, try another archive imprint date.  The important thing about the wayback machine is patience to look around for what you need.

Anyway, this link works for the forum and subject I looked for.

I would suggest a quick look and copy of personal/author owned data in acccordance with copyright requirements.  Use my link then navigate around in the usual way.  You wont be able to login, this is a digital copy, not working HTML code.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171226123956/http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=8750.0

DTT

KeithG

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2020, 07:18:30 AM »
I would of thought not being able to copy your own material over to here would be a sin, why can't you copy and keep on your own HDD as you are the owner or author?

If there is a blockage to stop it being done then perhaps more action could be sought?

If i remember correctly one cannot sign in if in Maintenance Mode!

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 09:35:49 PM »
I don't know about everyone else but when I write a long post, I research and put it together in Word first, and read it through before posting it. 

So it's been quite easy to put my posts back up.

The discussions are another thing though, and will be sorely missed.

Ditto, but I use Notepad rather than Word. As far as the old Forum is concerned, I'm not going to speculate about what the owner is up to or why, I'll just wait and see what happens next. I would say that I think that the 'news' item on the landing page is childish, but not surprising. As far as copyright is concerned, the statement that the copyright on articles belongs to the Forum needs some clarification. If she means that it belongs to her as the Forum owner, she is sadly mistaken. The copyright over any article belongs to it's author and nobody else.

As far as the name of this website is concerned, this was chosen because the message we had from the old Forums owner made perfectly clear that it was finished and was going to be shut down. Like anybody else, I can only make decisions based on information to hand at the time. It wasn't a question of 'nicking' or hijacking the old forum at all, it was more a case of continuing with something people were already familiar with.

The only stuff I had left to move to the new Forum was articles about Chatham-built submarines post Great War. I suppose it gives me the opportunity to completely rewrite them.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 08:41:48 PM »
I've already copied across everything that I needed to, so no problem there. The issue is with people who may have wanted to, but haven't got around to it yet, or others that are still unaware of the new forum and who now won't have a chance even if they want to. If things stay as they are you now can't even view posts as a guest, so all of that information, some of it not published anywhere else by people who are no longer with us, will be gone for good.

I've also spoken to Kyn - in person - and as you say she came across as a very nice young lady, so all the more perplexing.

bertroid

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 07:19:51 PM »

I don't know about everyone else but when I write a long post, I research and put it together in Word first, and read it through before posting it. 

So it's been quite easy to put my posts back up.

The discussions are another thing though, and will be sorely missed.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 07:15:07 PM »
No one has taken over anyone's site.  Especially the one where the owner has barred forum members from posting, insulted them, and then barred then from even entering the thing.
Perhaps they ought to do what they said they would. Let it die. Then their would be no supposed duplication.

bertroid

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 07:03:39 PM »
I have just been over to the old site. I think the old site owner, means that you took the Old Site
name, lock, stock, and barrel. Perhaps if you stuartwalters, as the new site owner ADDED an extra
word to the title - even putting, like the ` newkenthistoryforum ` that may satisfy the old owner,
because, it would get up my nose, if someone took over MY site and used it as their own.
That is MY opinion - other members may have different views ?

does it matter?  She hasn't allowed anyone to post for over a year... has been very stroppy about anyone helping and has said fairly recently that she will be shutting it down asap.  The asap bit hasn't happened as quickly as that would suggest etc etc.

If you type 'Kent History Forum' into google, you get two hits.  One you can't join or post or comment, and one you can.  So no one's taken over anything, except ensure that it continues, in some shape or form.

I don't think it's got a lot to do with the name....  just a lot of anger in general.  Poor kyn.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 06:55:46 PM »
I have just been over to the old site. I think the old site owner, means that you took the Old Site
name, lock, stock, and barrel. Perhaps if you stuartwalters, as the new site owner ADDED an extra
word to the title - even putting, like the ` newkenthistoryforum ` that may satisfy the old owner,
because, it would get up my nose, if someone took over MY site and used it as their own.
That is MY opinion - other members may have different views ?

bertroid

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 06:47:11 PM »

And I can't log in either.

I've moved at least ten of my posts, and chucked in some more that I would have put up on the old one, if I was allowed to.  At least they were posts I've actually written I guess, l so no copyright issues there.

I will miss the comments though, and the problem solving.

bertroid

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 06:43:47 PM »
Given the way this thread is going I thought that I would revisit the old site.
First thing is a red banner:
News: The original Kent History Forum.
Not affiliated or supportive of any duplicate sites!
Shame about the grammar....
Next, I can't log in. My log in is stored on my laptop and I also tried manually entering the details. No result. So copyright or not, I have no access.
Have we original malcontents been banned? Or is it another unintended feature after someone has obviously visited?

Just weird stuff now.  She hasn't let anyone post for over a year, and anyone would think she wants it to carry on like that.  As said before I've spoken to Kyn on the phone before and she was lovely.  I'm guessing she's in a very dark place.