Author Topic: What about information on the old Kent History Forum site  (Read 10947 times)

jonesnet

Re: What about information on the old Kent History Forum site
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2020, 10:03:13 PM »
i had a load of stuff on the old forum a few years back, a few pics on the mines

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »
Give me a couple of hours and I'll look into it.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2020, 06:52:05 PM »
Hello stuart - my diary on the Coronavirus 2020 from day one - March 10th has gone.
Only a `like ` from bertoid was saved - the last page !

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2020, 06:16:58 PM »
I was able to restore your post about Sir Alexander Fleming's treatment of your sister.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2020, 05:10:11 PM »
There was a problem with the site and all manner of stuff was deleted. Primarily, the contents of the settings file on the server, which caused the site to go down altogether. I fixed that, but subsequently found all manner of other data was missing, including all my 'Nelsons Navy' posts. I have a backup dating from the middle of May and will have a look for your post in it. If your post was on the forum before then, I'll be able to restore it.

Short of going through every single thread on the Forum, I have no way of finding out what went missing apart from people telling me.

Needless to say, I've now implemented a regime of daily backups.....

This thread has all the gory details
https://kenthistoryforum.com/index.php?topic=509.0

Offline Barry5X

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2020, 02:19:37 PM »
Could I please ask why the content of my post #Reply 40 has been deleted.

I spent a lot of time in composing this post which was placed on the New Kent History Forum with a genuine concern with regards to the considerable data and history relating to Kent that has been lost by the disappearance of the original Kent History Forum managed by Kyn.

In particular 2 posts: one of which referred to Sheerness Technical School matters and the other to National Service of a Sittingbourne Lad who served in the Buffs with a spell in Suez - both of which were highly popular based upon their viewing figures and to which I offered significant input.

There was nothing offensive in the post - just a personal request to see the original site restored and be made accessible as an archive source.

If someone has found my reply offensive in any manner, or it has been requested to be removed - can I ask that this be made public on this Topic.  Otherwise an explanation would be appreciated.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2020, 01:35:06 PM »
Barry5X,

Have you read the posts here about the Wayback Machine? You may be able to recover some or all of your contributions to the old KHF using this method. Worth a try.

Offline Barry5X

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2020, 10:18:33 PM »

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2020, 08:01:01 PM »
The trouble always was that like a boy who owns the football if he does not get his way then he shouts its my ball and I'm taking it away. That's how the old forum was run, play by her rules or else. So I doubt that anything  further can be done to rescue the locked up history.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2020, 09:38:09 AM »
I went there yesterday and your link worked and could read posts.... going back after a few minutes and no go at all so as you say maybe that is it!

I just can't believe that somebody responsible for such History of Kent that so many people have contributed to are allowed just to shut it all down for good?

There must be something someone can do about it?

The trouble is I can't remember what I posted or if I should be very worried. I assume the old site has my contact details etc..

Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

KeithG

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2020, 09:35:25 AM »
I went there yesterday and your link worked and could read posts.... going back after a few minutes and no go at all so as you say maybe that is it!

I just can't believe that somebody responsible for such History of Kent that so many people have contributed to are allowed just to shut it all down for good?
I wonder what the members rules were when joining?

There must be something someone can do about it?

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2020, 09:17:44 AM »
Assuming that users have cleared down their cache and cookies on their browsers, the 500 Internal Server Error is a catch-all error code thrown out when the server is unable for any reason to satisfy a client request. It could be anything, a misconfiguration in the .htaccess file (which tells the server how to handle such requests), a resource timeout (where something in the server takes too long to respond), or issues triggered by incorrect file or directory permissions.

It doesn't necessarily mean that the site is permanently dead, but it's certainly unwell. It may be that someone has been playing with the SMF software on the server and has screwed something up.

The only thing I can suggest is to keep an eye on it. It may well spring into life later on in whatever form.

I posted a great deal on the old site. I haven't cleared my cache or previous posts. Should I be worried?

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 05:42:09 PM »
Assuming that users have cleared down their cache and cookies on their browsers, the 500 Internal Server Error is a catch-all error code thrown out when the server is unable for any reason to satisfy a client request. It could be anything, a misconfiguration in the .htaccess file (which tells the server how to handle such requests), a resource timeout (where something in the server takes too long to respond), or issues triggered by incorrect file or directory permissions.

It doesn't necessarily mean that the site is permanently dead, but it's certainly unwell. It may be that someone has been playing with the SMF software on the server and has screwed something up.

The only thing I can suggest is to keep an eye on it. It may well spring into life later on in whatever form.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2020, 01:40:56 PM »
Looks like it may have finally given up the ghost?

"Internal Server Error"

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2020, 03:13:15 PM »
I have just been back to this `Internet Archives`. Mostly on my brief visit. (20 mins ) --- Were

VINTAGE CARTOONS
THE THREE STOOGES
BETTY BOOP
SOME OF THESE ARE ONLY `TRAILERS `.

It is worthwihile going back, as it `jogs ` the memory, as to what we did put on the old site,
then we can remember the material, & repeat it--- on this site.