Life Stories and Personal Memories > Personal Memories

Climate Change !

<< < (3/3)

MartinR:
My wife and I walked up to Aldi before lunch (well to be strictly accurate, she walked and I trundled).  On the way we saw at least a dozen butterflies, and something that looked like a dragonfly.  I say "looked like" because it was at a distance and there was no standing water nearby.  No bees though.

Update: walking around Eastgate Gardens in Rochester this afternoon there were plenty of bees, butterflies, day-flying moths and this little fellow.  More bees and butterflies  in the Cathedral Garth.  Today has been bright and moderately warm so the insects will not be in danger of drowning, being washed away or being too cold to function.

MartinR:
Well we seem to have avoided the wasps this year, but the ants were everywhere earlier.  Likewise when the weather permits a walk along the Medway there are plenty of butterflies, particularly Red Admirals.  The two shots below were taken: (1) 2023-07-23_14:52:09 at Gillingham (205mm, f/5.0 1/320s ISO 640) and (2) 2023-07-19_18:09:58 at home in Rochester (55mm, f/5.6, 100s, ISO 160).  Earlier in the year (June) there were plenty whites down at The Friars.  I didn't get close enough to tell the exact species, and in the Peace Gardens there were insects feeding and pollinating everywhere.  In summary, and very strictly only in my personal non-scientific recollection, we had plenty of wildlife in the warmer weather, but with the cold and rainy July they (and me) have sought shelter.

castle261:
People in Kent - must have noticed the change in birds & insects habits - these last few months.
BEES are not so many lately - I have only seen one Bee - one butterfly - a Cabbage White
Even Wasps - one of them too - Swarms of Flying Ants - have been seen in a part of Rainham.
Could it be - that they have to fly off - to where their food have moved on to - hot or cold - ?
What do YOU think ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version