Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1041741 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #178 on: October 23, 2019, 05:38:45 PM »
March of 1802 was when the Treaty of Amiens was signed, ending the French Revolutionary War and heralding the start of a 14-month period of peace known as the Peace of Amiens. This would have impacted towns along the Kent Coast because open trade across the Channel would have restarted after nine years of war. Vessels carrying cargoes and people across the English Channel would have been able to do so without fear of being seized by privateers or Naval forces.

Sadly, it was all to end when what is commonly known as the Napoleonic War broke out in May of 1803. The situation was exacerbated by the Orders in Council in 1807, themselves the British retaliation to a French embargo, which led to an explosion in smuggling all along the south coast, in which fortunes were made by those involved in it.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #177 on: October 23, 2019, 10:33:39 AM »
Would late March (say 25 or 27 according to different sources) be a time for a quick trip to North France?

Offline CAT

« Reply #176 on: October 23, 2019, 08:02:16 AM »
Not too difficult, and not specific to the town, though it greatly impacted the town of Hythe. Think of what's going on nationally with regards our European neighbours, especially along the Kent coast?

Offline CAT

« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2019, 08:02:51 AM »
Many thanks Local Hiker, I shall remember that for next time.

You are correct John Walker, but why is the date of its modification significant to the town and the Kent coast?

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2019, 05:24:25 AM »
You can remove or replace posted images and edit the text on existing posts using the "modify" option.

So, you could remove the image with properties and replace it with a copy after removing the properties.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #173 on: October 21, 2019, 10:38:13 PM »
Your coastal clue made me think of Sandwich but not many roads there have house numbers to 150 - so then I turned to Hythe - St John's Hospital A Grade II Listed Building in Hythe, Kent  - Altered in 1802.

Offline CAT

« Reply #172 on: October 21, 2019, 04:22:12 PM »
A quick clue: It's in a former coastal town

Offline CAT

« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2019, 02:29:24 PM »
Many thanks for that Local Hiker, I was in a rush to get this up so forgot to remove the data. Unfortunately, now it's posted I can't change it, so if others know how to trace the Long/Lat then it should be easy?

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2019, 02:00:36 PM »
CAT, you have left the lat long in the file properties.

In Windows, to remove properties, right click on file, select "properties", and save a copy with properties removed.
Sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but others may not know how to.

Offline CAT

« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2019, 01:14:44 PM »
Again, sorry for the delay.

Here is my next. The date of 1802 is fairly significant to the building as well as the place this building is in

Offline John Walker

« Reply #168 on: October 19, 2019, 11:56:44 PM »
Spot on CAT. :)
The changes are the two buildings after the man standing with his bicycle. The Fire Station and The George Hotel, torn down in 1971 and replaced by a TESCO!!!

Over to you ...

Offline CAT

« Reply #167 on: October 19, 2019, 06:05:13 PM »
Looks like a view looking north along West Malling High Street?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #166 on: October 19, 2019, 02:46:07 PM »
Well spotted MartinR but it's not Faversham.  This one is away from my usual area of entries.  A lot of the buildings still exist but some have been replaced with an ugly modern building (in my opinion anyway)

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2019, 12:09:14 PM »
Bit of a long shot, but is the garage structure the old Faversham police station?  The lamp looks suspiciously similar to the one from there that's on display at Bluewater.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2019, 10:28:11 AM »
Thank you Stewie

Next one ...  Where is this?