Author Topic: Gillingham Bus Depot  (Read 3013 times)

Offline AlanTH

Re: Gillingham Bus Depot
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 11:16:07 PM »
I remember sitting in the canteen in 1966 - 7 I think (from fast fading memory... ), watching the box and suddenly coming to the realisation that it was in colour!! Our telly at the In laws we lived with at the time was the standard black and white, but it was strange how it never dawned on me for a while that this was in colour, although a bit washed out.
It was a program about Jag XJ6s and the car was light blue. :)
Can't remember the food as mostly I took what the Cook (wife) gave me to take along to work.
AlanTH. 

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 11:31:10 AM »

KeithG

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 01:59:10 PM »
More bomb damage?

KeithG

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »
I used to go to the canteen from time to time to service the R Whites dispenser- Took a week to get the smell of fried food off me, my tools and even the van.

I have heard of that before Pete about all the fried food...

Not surprised my Dad died at 72yrs of a heart attack and narrowing of the arteries.....mind you i am now 72yrs and had a Stent two years ago luckily i think i had symptoms and did something about it.
If i survive until September i shall be the oldest male in my whole family to have reached this age?

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 01:29:01 PM »

pete.mason

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 01:01:35 PM »
I used to go to the canteen from time to time to service the R Whites dispenser- Took a week to get the smell of fried food off me, my tools and even the van.

KeithG

Gillingham Bus Depot
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 12:33:06 PM »
Both my Parents worked for Maidstone & District Buses and were stationed at the Gillingham Depot
Mum and her Sister worked there around 1941 and my Dad after the War up to 1952.

One of my Dad`s friends at the Depot did an Indian Ink drawing in October 1942 from memory of the night of the 27th August 1940 when the Depot was hit by Bombs.
I still have this today and do treasure it...i have put up in the pictures as it is so realistic?

Pictures: Bus Station in 1921...Gillingham Canteen...The Depot in 1969.