Author Topic: Gillingham Bus Depot  (Read 474 times)

Offline AlanTH

Re: Gillingham Bus Depot
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 11:31:10 AM »

Offline KeithG

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 01:59:10 PM »
More bomb damage?
Nostalgia is a thing of the past

Offline KeithG

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »
I used to go to the canteen from time to time to service the R Whites dispenser- Took a week to get the smell of fried food off me, my tools and even the van.

I have heard of that before Pete about all the fried food...

Not surprised my Dad died at 72yrs of a heart attack and narrowing of the arteries.....mind you i am now 72yrs and had a Stent two years ago luckily i think i had symptoms and did something about it.
If i survive until September i shall be the oldest male in my whole family to have reached this age?

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 01:29:01 PM »

pete.mason

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 01:01:35 PM »
I used to go to the canteen from time to time to service the R Whites dispenser- Took a week to get the smell of fried food off me, my tools and even the van.

Offline KeithG

Gillingham Bus Depot
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 12:33:06 PM »
Both my Parents worked for Maidstone & District Buses and were stationed at the Gillingham Depot
Mum and her Sister worked there around 1941 and my Dad after the War up to 1952.

One of my Dad`s friends at the Depot did an Indian Ink drawing in October 1942 from memory of the night of the 27th August 1940 when the Depot was hit by Bombs.
I still have this today and do treasure it...i have put up in the pictures as it is so realistic?

Pictures: Bus Station in 1921...Gillingham Canteen...The Depot in 1969.