Military History > Castles, Forts and other fortified places

Upnor Castle - accessibility

(1/2) > >>

Archi93:

--- Quote from: Dave Smith on November 21, 2020, 05:56:13 PM ---Interesting. I expected to see the real queen but there was a picture of my wife sitting on a throne!

--- End quote ---
That's amazing. I believe she was the oldest lady in Upnor at the time and certainly having a great day.

Dave Smith:
Interesting. I expected to see the real queen but there was a picture of my wife sitting on a throne! I hadn't seen this Topic before, so found lots to read about. I can imagine how it made Colin interested in history; local, that one can relate to rather than dates etc. Nowadays I wonder why we didn't do any local history at school. e.g. I didn't know that HMS Victory was built at Chatham dockyard & yet my Dad worked there for many years- maybe they do now?

Archi93:
The 'Queen' at Upnor castle and the Upnor Declaration. 14 June 2009
 Some light relief during this time!

castle261:
I attended a `sealed society ` event years ago, at Upnor Castle. Best ever.

Colin walsh:
Upnor castle holds some good memories for me,I worked at chatendean magazines as a junior store house assistant,all part of RNAD Lodge hill,my father HG Gale was a clerical officer he was given the  job of stocktakeing all the mesueam exhibits and fittings in the castle,then part of RNAD lodge hill
At the time of closure.i was sent to help him ,prior to being transferred to the dockyard.most of the contents went to Pridys Hard Portsmouth,and the Impereal war museum,
Things I remember.
White head torpedoe, plus part of the wire guidelines,very early proximity fuses,a collection of Naval weapons swords,cutlasses flint lock pistols and other fire arms,loads and loads of cannon ammunition chain shot can ester shot ECT plus a huge stock of stores ledgers some dating back to Nelsons ships the time spent there with dad gave me a life long interest in history.may be of interest to me mainly but I think it fills in a tiny bit of upnor Story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version