Author Topic: Driving Tests  (Read 1557 times)

Offline MartinR

Re: Driving Tests
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2021, 10:27:39 AM »
50 years in December since I got my provisional licence:

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2021, 09:42:53 AM »
I've had a license for 55 or 56 years now. I also drove buses for Maidstone and District from Gillingham depot, taxis for Vokes and old Tom Wimble and my own cab after buying 2 at different times. Same here in Oz where I've lived for nearly 50 years, cars, buses and taxis plus trucks but not the real huge ones they use here.
Used to ride motorbikes occasionally but never took a test.
Still drive huge distances when we travel to the north for holidays but don't do the 800 plus kays in a day I used to as I get too tired now. Rather sit back earlier in the day and have a beer or three. :)
AlanH.

PS. Just modified the above years since first getting a license.... so I can drive but can't count yet. :)

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2021, 09:46:34 PM »
Sorry lads, mine is 60 years car & 63 m/cycle (scooter in my case but license was for all m/c's). No doubt that will be well beaten  by someone in the years to come. Incidentally, my Dad's license- for 1 year only- was 12/1/1924, needed for his work duties. But he never owned a car. His Highway Code book (32 pages), which included signals for cyclists & drivers of horse drawn vehicles, cost 1d.

Offline Howardws

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2021, 09:06:13 PM »
My father didn’t have to take a test when he bought his first car - a  three wheel Morgan with a Jap vee twin engine. Apparently he bought it at an auction and drove it away. When I asked how he learned to drive he was most affronted. His reply was “I’m an Engineer, I knew how a car worked, therefore I knew how to drive”.

Offline johnfilmer

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2021, 05:40:17 PM »
Our sons could never drive my wife’s Land Rover Defender 110 because it had too many seats for their newer licences without a further test.

They would also need to take yet another test to be able to tow our trailer with it. We didn’t realise the differences between our entitlements for a while. Didn’t stop them driving it around our field!

My father never took a test (born 1909) and he was a lorry driver. His licence, the old red one, simply said “All Groups”.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline MartinR

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2021, 05:04:57 PM »
It's interesting comparing my driving licence with my son's.  You get a lot less groups after you've passed your test these days.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2021, 04:06:11 PM »
 When the HGV licences were introduced in the late 60's An employer just had to say you had been driving xxx type vehicles and you were given the licence ,no testing involved.
Us lads in the RAF with B class 1629 service licences had been driving HGV's ie. Rigid Bedfords,Hippos ,Matadors and some even Queen Marys (Extra long Artics).
 I personally spent many hours driving flagged  and boarded Hippos conveying explosives from railway yards to RAF Stations I was at.
 Come the day the RAF decided they weren't going to authorise us, only actual MT Trade Drivers, not B or C class.
Consequently there was a shortage of drivers and a panic drive to recruit more.Some lads changed trades just to get the licence before they demobbed.

Offline MartinR

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2021, 03:49:39 PM »
Quite believable.  My late uncle (born 1914) never took a test, and was driving into hist 90s.  I believe in his case he just applied for the license when they started issuing them.  Tests only started in 1935 by which time he was 21 and already driving.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2021, 03:23:09 PM »
Hi,never took a driving test in my life.yet I held a full license,including HGV.
My story:- I was hanging around the M/T Pool at 33Engineer Reg,(as one did in my day,) engaged in the nobl art of avoiding work/drill or any other military type occupation.officer to me:"- can you drive,"me "no sir" officer type dumbo "well jump in this Land Rover. With me"short lesson on starting,stoping and the bit in between (steering gear changing ECT)  officer "well done lad "handed me a pink slip(note ,not female underwear)army type form,officer "go to Maidstone lines and procure a driving license from the transport officer,your in the convoy tomorrow , were of to Osnabruck.sounds funny ,but I swear by the great panjandrum it's somewhere near the truth

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 01:16:18 PM »
I took my test in Derry NI in 1967 just after the troubles had started. Bernadette Devlin and the American Noraid were stirring up the IRA .
Things hadn't got to bad at the time although it was not unusual for gangs of yobs to roam the streets banging on car roofs and chucking bricks about.
However proceeding along on the test quite well ,as the instructor said turn right at next junction,I indicated and stopped to let an approaching car pass.
As I started to turn into the road there was a crowd of yobs 20 yards in front. The Examiner didn't appreciate getting slammed against his door when I did a reverse handbrake turn and shot back up the road we had come along. He didn't say much and I thought O'S**t that's blown my test.
Anyway completed the Emergency stop and reverse round corner and arrived at the Test Station. To My surprise he said that was a very good test and wrote out the Pass cert. Who taught you the emergency turn? I had to admit no one, but I had been living and driving RAF vehicles on my 1629 and Malta Driving Licence for 3 years. I had learnt to do it in Landrovers when mucking about on the pans , on late shifts, while waiting for our Shackletons to land .

Offline mmitch

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 10:21:05 AM »
Only 54 for me but still clean! FX!
mmitch.

pete.mason

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2021, 08:26:20 AM »
56 for me too :o

Offline Howardws

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2021, 07:35:17 AM »
56!

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2021, 11:17:25 PM »
Haha! Great little story John.

Since today is the 4th of July I can now confirm that I've held a licence for 53 years (as indicated in the opening post of this thread).

Anyone held theirs longer?

Alec.

Offline johnfilmer

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 10:44:47 PM »
Our two sons driving lessons were supplemented by practice driving my wife to and from school. This was done using the company’s spare Astra van that we used to find extremely useful to cover servicing, breakdown and accident repairs.

The eldest took his test without hassle in the school car, passing first time.

About two years later his brother got a short notice cancellation test appointment, but his instructor was not available. The spare van was in use and our cars were unsuitable being my Golf VR6 and her Land Rover Defender 110. So we borrowed the spare van back for an hour or two and he took his test in that.

Being in use by an engineer it had ladders and copper tube on the roof, tools and equipment rammed inside and the usual detritus found in works vans. Oh and it was blowing a serious gale with horizontal rain and bits of tree and other debris flying about.

L plates on a fully sign written van (we always did the bonnet as well) look quite odd, but the examiner was unfazed and just carried on. Taking the test in a van had only one difference in that the reverse around a corner is done on the right rather than the usual left hand corner. He passed.

Not being a particularly organised soul in his youth it was some time before he sent off his pass to get a full licence and didn’t chase up its non appearance for ages. Another year later DVLA said that it had never received the paperwork, and the might of bureaucracy always wins. So he had to take his tests again, and again passed, but this time in a driving school car. The licence that he received had the distinctive photo that he had sent with the first pass...

He therefore remains the only person I know who has passed his test first time - Twice!
Illegitimus nil carborundum