Author Topic: WW2 - Ended this day in 1945 !  (Read 1116 times)

Offline mmitch

Re: WW2 - Ended this day in 1945 !
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 09:19:20 AM »
There certainly was a street party here, I went to it although I was only 6 weeks old!
When we had a reunion 50 years later I was remembered as the youngest one there!
mmitch

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: WW2 - Ended in 1945 !
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 01:38:41 PM »
Slip of the quill pen - I must have been thinking of May the 8th - VE Day, (a thousand pardons - if you please)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 03:43:45 PM »
The whole business of the ending of the War was a complex and long drawn out process, but nothing particularly notable seems to have happened on 8 August:

====

30 April: Hitler commits suicide
7 May: German Military surrender signed at SHAEF, Reims.
8 May: German National surrender signed at Karlshort, Berlin.
26 July: Potsdam Declaration tells Japan to surrender.
6 August: Hiroshima
9 August: Nagasaki.  USSR enters the war.
10 August: Japanese Emperor tells Foreign Ministry to notify the Allies of Japan's intention to surrender unconditionally, provided the Emperor remains in place.
11 August: Allies agree.
14 August: VJ day.  Allies announce the surrender and the Emperor informs his people.
2 September: Official surrender ceremony.

====

10 February: Paris Peace Conference ends, peace treaties signed between the Allies and Axis, excluding Germany.

====

End of state of war with Germany declared by many allies.

====

Most other allies declared an end to the state of war with Germany.
8 September: Treaty of San Francisco signed.

====
28 April: Treaty of San Francisc comes into effect ending the war with Japan.

====

Soviet Union declares an end to the state of war with Germany.

====

The Treaty on the Final Settlement with Respect to Germany was signed.  Unified Germany recognised and provision made for all occupying forces to withdraw.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 12:50:15 PM »
      America's Enola Gay B29 Heavy Bomber, dropped the A Bomb on Hiroshima on the 6th August.
      Russia declared war on Japan on the 8th August.
      A second  A Bomb was dropped on Nagasaki on the 9th Of August.
      Japan signed unconditional Surrender on 14 August.
I am told the war in the Far East after VE Day was considered the forgotten War.
     I don't think there were any celebration Parties in the UK.

I too remember VE Day but I think it was in May not August.
     Mum dressed me in red White and Blue and we walked around the Village and then the town to an Aunties house. I carried a big Union Flag on a stick over my shoulder and blew a whistle every so often.
     There was a big Village fete and Party to celebrate a few weeks later with games for us kids.I was lucky as when Mum took me to visit her Sister in Headcorn a few days later they were having their celebration party with tables along the street in front of the War memorial so I had 2 Parties .
I don't remember any more Parties when the War ended officially in September.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
WW2 - Ended this day in 1945 !
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 11:51:07 AM »
What a day that was ! we were all ready for it - with all the bunting ready to hang out - across the street. Mothers & fathers were busy
Mothers preparing the food - Dad`s busy with the bunting & electric cables - to light up the street after dark - Tables were brought out
then chairs - Table cloths were next then food began to appear - all wrapped up in tea cloths - (no cling film in those days ) plates were
followed next by bottle`s of Pop - triffle & jelly - Music was found & plugged into the sound system - later the children were asked to sit
down - as the Mother`s  & fathers served them - The lights were switched on then it got dark & the children were tired - then taken to
their beds - the Adult`s then took over - dancing in the street - Much later - we paired off - as some of us had girl friends.
A GREAT DAY was had - by all .............