Author Topic: Chatham Dockyard Dockings 1951-1983  (Read 2775 times)

Offline shoot999

Re: Chatham Dockyard Dockings 1951-1983
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 11:43:10 AM »
Dates and reasons for every ship docking between 1951-1983.

Great list brings back happy memories of taking my fuel barge into dock and the other vessels bring back good memories to, thanks for posting

That's what I did to. Jogged quiet a few memories of happier times in refit; and not so happier times lol. Wielding a windy hammer  all day long the middle of the winter and then trying to get some life back into your fingers by huddling round a black heater.  ;D

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 10:23:11 AM »

Great list brings back happy memories of taking my fuel barge into dock and the other vessels bring back good memories to, thanks for posting

Offline shoot999

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 08:44:27 PM »
I do believe that's HMS Blake in the background. Held in reserve at Chatham until the 'Yard closed. Did you know an engineer called 'Quayle'? His son Darren was my best mate at school and in the Sea Cadets.

Totally off-topic I know.... I expect the admin will tell me off. Oh wait. That's me!

The lists of movements in the Dockyard might be in the National Archive.

As you say, completely off topic. What next? You asking me to post  a picture of Cyril Quayle at the bow of the Brenda?  :D

Knew Cyril for many years. Good engineer and a good man. And most of the pics of his time in the RMAS/PAS have been passed on to his son.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 04:41:50 PM »
I do believe that's HMS Blake in the background. Held in reserve at Chatham until the 'Yard closed. Did you know an engineer called 'Quayle'? His son Darren was my best mate at school and in the Sea Cadets.

Totally off-topic I know.... I expect the admin will tell me off. Oh wait. That's me!

The lists of movements in the Dockyard might be in the National Archive.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 09:58:52 AM »
Great stuff Shoot999 do you have a list of visiting ships that didnt need dry dock facilities. ie  HMS Chatham ,Kent  and others on visits etc? :)
'
Unfortunately not grandarog. Those directly involved  would get a daily 'Movements Sheet' of every ship move for that day. Obviously at the coalface we didn't need to keep them so they would be thrown away at the end of the day. But I would imagine they would have been centralised somewhere within the Yard. Maybe worth checking with the Dockyard Museum?

Just noticed that the second to last vessel to be docked at Chatham was the tug Felicity. I spent a few weeks on her at Chatham as a junior seaman and skippered her later in life when she was at Devonport.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 07:54:16 AM »
Great stuff Shoot999 do you have a list of visiting ships that didnt need dry dock facilities. ie  HMS Chatham ,Kent  and others on visits etc? :)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 07:12:07 AM »
Brilliant stuff, thank you  ;)
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline shoot999

Chatham Dockyard Dockings 1951-1983
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 11:12:38 PM »