Author Topic: Chatham Dockyard Video 1977  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Colin walsh

Re: Chatham Dockyard Video 1977
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 08:30:11 PM »
Mike,I know that some went to Chatham library,and some went to the garrison church dock road,an old pal of mine was the curator at the time,ex shipwright.
Castle 261,never saw the ones you mentioned ,as far as I can recall those we were shown were of the inside of no 8shop,the boat house and the medical center,executed in pastel crayon nothing really recognizable,just a rough ,to me, hastily done sketch,seem to think the artist was a lady.
The story was Thay recived a fairly substantial retainer for there work,as I said at the time to my mind those I viewed were very poor quality,and all this time later I still hold the same opinion. To

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 12:16:45 PM »

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 06:53:15 AM »
I remember at the time of closing,an artist was commissioned to paint pictures of various yard scenes for. Future reference,we were allowed a sneak preview,total crap ,a five year old could have done better,I hope Thay were never shown,

Do you know what happened to the paintings Colin? Interesting to see them now.
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 08:39:17 PM »
I remember at the time of closing,an artist was commissioned to paint pictures of various yard scenes for. Future reference,we were allowed a sneak preview,total crap ,a five year old could have done better,I hope Thay were never shown,

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 12:05:08 PM »
A few films were `shot` in the `yard - ` WATCH YOUR STERN `- the best one for views of the `yard.
I used to sketch & draw - what ever basin or dock I was on - I kept them in the `yard - until it closed.

Offline Stewie

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 07:07:15 AM »
An interesting film, Surprised that they were allowed to film in the Dockyard.

Offline jimawilliams

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 10:33:06 PM »
At the very beginiing of the video (1 sec) land is seen being developed where the Medway Industrial Estate now exists.  John Howard (civil engineer) was a major construction company that had many projects in SE England in the late 1970's.   Howard Plant, a subsidiary company, had its site on this land and can be seen immediately above the bare earth portion of land.  I worked here as an automotive electrician at this time and spent much of my time travelling around SE England to repair equipment used on the major construction sites.  The Thames Barrier, Romney Marshes drag lines, motorway construction, skyscraper cranes,  were all fascinating environments for a 21 year old to be experiencing.  I can also clearly recall savouring lunch one sunny day, sitting on a tug moored at Howard Plant opposite the dockyard.  I missed out on the channel tunnel construction, as by that time we had emigrated to Australia.  Looking back, it was both working here and serving a wonderful apprenticeship at Swift Auto Electrics (Dongola Road Strood) that gave me the knowledge, skills and most important attitude to a varied successful working life. 

So thank you Keith for posting.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 09:47:54 AM »
In that video there's a brief shot of F117 HMS Ashanti. The ship my hubby was on when I met him in 1962.
 I have a photo of the ship with his cap band on it. There's also HMS Leopard F14, seems it was broken up that year too. ( I got a book with most ships in )
Thanks for posting Keith.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 11:03:06 PM »
Spent some of the best years of my life in the late 60s/early 70s on the tugs. Two of my best mates were on the Brenda at 1m 40s.  My tug at the time was the Grapeshot.

KeithG

Chatham Dockyard Video 1977
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 10:01:31 PM »