Author Topic: Chatham Dockyard, families at launch of new ships  (Read 2061 times)

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
Re: Chatham Dockyard, families at launch of new ships
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 06:53:13 PM »
No Problem , No idea whether it was Gillingham or Chatham Council. as you say MCC wasnt about back in those days. I remember there were at least 2 Mayors or Councillors witj Chains of office who rabbited on while no one listened.  :)

Offline Medway Born and Bred

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 09:58:48 AM »

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 06:57:38 PM »
One of my jobs was to help install - different types of gas turbine engines in H.M.S. Exmouth.
This took place in No 2 basin - then the ship went on trials - then back again - out they came.     
Other gas turbine`s installed -- until they got it right in - Chatham dockyard in -1965..

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 04:44:39 PM »
When HMS Chatham was Commissioned at Chatham ,our Son was a Stoker on the maiden crew. We were allocated 4 Tickets for the Day. Issued with souvenir Book listing all the crew names and data about the ship.
Watched the Commissioning .Then had a tour of the Ship followed by an excellent reception and Buffet at the Black Lion laid on by Medway Council. Thanet Catering College did the Buffet and provide the Waiting and Bar Staff. Lovely time was had by all family's that attended.
A couple of years later as, crew member Parents, we were invited to a Ships open day at Plymouth ,where we spent 4 hours on board HMS Chatham. She had just taken all the Gulf Patrol Gear on board ready to deploy the following week. After lunch in the Messes on board she and HMS Broadsword cast off and headed out onto the sound.
 All families on board both were ordered off the Helicopter Deck at the aft .
 The Ships then lined up about 300yds apart and when a circling Lynx Helicopter fired a Green Very Flare the race started.
 All engines were engaged in what was called Cogagand (2 Olympus and 2 Tynes all geared together to drive the 2 Screws.)
The 2 Frigates sped up to maximum speed in minutes. The wash was tremendous coming right up over the aft Heli Deck.
 As Broadsword was lighter at the time she won the race by a short head(end signaled by red  from Lynx.)
Then back ashore for tea and wads in the NAAFI (recognised the smell of NAAFI Tea as soon as the Door opened). A great day was had by all,never to be forgotten.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »
It's a tradition which goes back to the year dot. When HMS Bellerophon was launched from what was Greaves' Yard in Frindsbury in 1786, all the families were invited and it was a grand occasion, described in the poem 'The Hammers' by Amy Lowell.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Dave Smith

Chatham Dockyard, families at launch of new ships
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 04:44:48 PM »
My Dad was an electrical fitter on submarines & when HMS Seal was launched in 1938, all the families of those who had worked on her were invited to the launch. As you may imagine there were a lot there. I don't know how far back this practice went but certainly all the time my Dad worked at the Yard - 1933 he started.