Author Topic: NFS stations  (Read 2882 times)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: NFS stations
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 08:48:33 AM »
Sorry for the delay Garry1973 - That Fire Station in the `Cut `was only a retained fire station - I believe. Two engines - then later - only one.
Have you made any more progress on your quest - for more information on Kent fire stations -if so - other people would like to hear - your result.

Offline castle261

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 06:55:17 AM »
You are right Garry. When the siren went during the war, firemen & ARP could be heard, opening doors
to get their bikes out, for a rush to get to their different stations. Four ARP Messenger`s lived in the street
+ one NFS man, rushing by bike to get to his station, at the `Cut `.
Our post supported three Wardens + five messengers.
One man was a Warden until he was called up, he did his army training, was killed on his first jump.
He was 44, considered too old at that age - to be called up.

Offline Garry1973

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 07:45:43 PM »
Hi Castle261, thank you for the reply, yes it would, I am interested in locating all the early Kent Brigades and those that were adopted by the AFS/NFS and ultimately KFB. I have a fair few Brigades so far but more keep coming up,if I had a NFS list then it would probably be easier as would be unlikely for a Brigade to close at that time unless it was merged like Sittingbourne, Murston and Milton Regis.
Thank you for the info on "The Cut" was that Chatham Fire Station in the arches?

Offline castle261

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 08:01:55 AM »
Would that include - Garry 1973 - pump stations as well, as one was just behind our ARP post in Ordnance Street in Chatham ( picture on this site)
This site was just outside the school, with it`s junction with Grosvenor Avenue. Our ARP post was inside the playground of the school.
The nearest NFS station to us was, at the `CUT` where it meets Railway Street - ( now a cafe ) - for a full list try the Kent Library just outside Maidstone.

Offline Garry1973

NFS stations
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 07:33:35 PM »
Hi all, I'm currently trying to research old Kent fire stations,
Does anybody know if there is a complete list of Kent NFS
Stations anywhere? Many thanks in advance. Garry