Author Topic: Measurements old and new  (Read 9098 times)

Offline Dave Smith

Re: Measurements old and new
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2020, 06:04:44 PM »
grandarog. Yes, I have visited some in New Orleans & they are pretty tall. I assumed it was to keep them cooler in the Summer- from your post, obviously not. Of course we have the much more modern farce of the space shuttle made with Imperial & using some parts made in metric. Beyond comprehension!

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 05:39:33 PM »
In the deep South of USA (think "Gone with the Wind") the early new rich  plantation owners wanted opulent grand houses.
If you ever visit  you will find the Doors and Windows are huge and the ceilings very high,.
This was caused by the builders being given continental plans . All measurements were in centimetres which the American builders thought were inches ,hence the large scale buildings. A few were built before it was realised. :)

Offline Bill Jones

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2020, 12:43:06 PM »
Thank you, have a banana  :)

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2020, 06:29:57 AM »
Hi,mostly light hearted problems created by decimilation ,but in at least one instance change of systems had a some what different effect .
I refer to the change in ionizing radiation regulations as used in the nuclear industry.the original dose rate was based on the REM -radiation dose equivalent  man,a whole new ball game compared to CIVERTS. SYSTEM ,

Offline smiler

• Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2020, 06:55:42 AM »
I like that Smiffy very witty       

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2020, 08:01:15 PM »

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2020, 07:17:09 PM »
Interesting case of abusing the old measurements.  Aldi are selling packs of "quarter pounder" burgers.  Each burger is 73g.  A quarter pound in 113g!  More than a little naughty.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2020, 03:05:49 PM »
As this thread was getting very Model Railways orientated, I've started another under that heading for it seemed there were many who knew a lot about the subject & might make the thread very interesting.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2020, 01:13:12 PM »
Smiffy. Good lord! I remember talking with a chap with an Z gauge layout in a small suitcase; he said the problem was keeping dust off the rails for the slightest bit stopped the engine. p.s. I should have said N gauge as the next one down before Z, sorry.

Offline Nemo

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 09:04:07 PM »
I had TT, 3mm to the foot, or 1/100. Shame the 12mm track only represented 4 feet, you just had to remember not to look at trains head-on.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 07:51:56 PM »
There's even a "T" gauge now which is less than half the size of "Z" gauge!

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 12:26:31 PM »
Nemo. Of course the continentals used HO, same track size but slightly different rolling stock. For my son- in my youth, I had O gauge- we bought  2nd hand TT, which I thought was by far the best, as small enough for a decent layout but not silly small like Z.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2020, 09:34:14 PM »
@Dave: Well caught (from last year), two mistakes in one post, must be going senile.  It's just as well that I didn't make that mistake doing my Yachtmaster/Coastal exam last autumn.  :-[
BTW, 1 nm is 1.85 km, so near enough 2 unless you are doing serious navigation in metric (and if so - why?).

Offline Nemo

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2020, 07:33:25 PM »
I also grew up in "Imperial" days but, when you think about it, wasn't it strange, before and after the change, that OO gauge modelling (1:76) was always a mixture, being 4mm to 1 foot.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 05:56:28 PM »
I've only just come across this thread & have read it with interest. I was born in 1930, so have only ever used Imperial; although towards the end of my working life, metric- or SI- was very much in vogue. I felt sorry for those who started metric at the change over for so much was - & still is, eg mph- in Imperial. Dave TT; yes, acre, they built houses then at 10 to the acre which put it into perspective. JohnF; I always used Btu's, & it was so easy to check out 3Btu's /ft3 to give a good indication of room heat loss. MartinR; afraid you are x60 out with the latitude. 1nm is 1minute of arc, not 1 degree. I nm is approx. 1.15 miles or 1 mile is approx. .9 of a mn.  In kms, " gawd knows"!