Author Topic: Chatham Police Station?  (Read 13984 times)

Offline smiler

• Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
Re: Chatham Police Station?
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2021, 11:08:57 AM »
    I remember as a kid never passing the police station without going round the back where the kennels were holding the stray dogs.

KeithG

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 01:22:50 PM »

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 09:27:18 AM »
I'm sure the test centre was still there when I took my bike test, I think about 1971-72. I remember riding up and down the Paddock, which has now gone.

Interesting that the police station in the Brook built to replace the old one has in its turn, been replaced. Does anyone know if the one in the Brook still has any function, as I've seen vehicles coming and going but the building itself always looks empty.

I think the police use the parking area there, which is also shared with the magistrates court. It was always a secure way to transfer prisoners. There is a tunnel from the police station to the magistrate court cells.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 06:06:54 PM »
I'm sure the test centre was still there when I took my bike test, I think about 1971-72. I remember riding up and down the Paddock, which has now gone.

Interesting that the police station in the Brook built to replace the old one has in its turn, been replaced. Does anyone know if the one in the Brook still has any function, as I've seen vehicles coming and going but the building itself always looks empty.

KeithG

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 02:38:55 PM »
I have been trying to find the photo I have of the Police Station from the Gibraltar side looking across which shows the blue light but no success.
I did all my driving tests at Chatham starting in 1964 and the Test Centre was opposite the Lord Duncan so I do know the area quite well.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 12:02:35 AM »
Good old Dixon of Dock Green. 432 episodes made with only 32 now remaining. Kent connection - such was the popularity of the character of George Dixon that Jack Warner, who lived in Thanet for 35 years, was made an honorary member of both the Margate and Ramsgate Police Forces.

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 11:28:16 PM »
Just for you Smiffy:

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 10:59:28 PM »
"Evening all"  :)

KeithG

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 10:22:45 PM »
I do remember it as both.
There was also the old blue Police light outside.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 06:29:42 PM »
Actually, looking at this map from the 1860's, you can see there was a Magistrates office, a hall and witnesses waiting room, so it looks like it doubled as both.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 05:59:01 PM »
Yes Google shows it as a cyber cafe "The Courthouse"
Smiffy it was a magistrates court in 1960s 70s. remember friends going there for motor offences

Thx again Pete:

I remember it as a courthouse but don't know it was the old police station.

Ta
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

KeithG

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »
I went there in early 1970 after my big car accident... got banned for 12 months

pete.mason

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
Yes Google shows it as a cyber cafe "The Courthouse"
Smiffy it was a magistrates court in 1960s 70s. remember friends going there for motor offences

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 03:36:54 PM »
1909 OS shows it at New Rd junction of The Paddock, Still there in 1935 OS.  IIRC it was later juvenile court in the 1960s

Peter:

Thank you very much. Would that be the building that is now, on the viaduct in New Road, Chatham?

Very grateful

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 02:11:38 PM »
The building is still there and for some reason it's known as "The Old Courthouse". Where this comes from I don't know, as far as I know it was always just the police station.