Author Topic: Walderslade Village  (Read 12685 times)

Offline Smiffy

Re: Walderslade Village
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2020, 12:21:55 AM »

Dargets road showing the old school:

A view looking across the village towards Boxley road and beyond:

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2020, 10:54:50 AM »
Smiffy. Many thanks. That is almost unbelievable!

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2020, 10:24:44 PM »

A picture showing "The Homestead". This is the oldest building in Walderslade, parts of which date back to the mid 17th century.

A modern google earth view from a similar angle, showing a somewhat different prospect.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2020, 10:44:35 PM »
Sorry, i got it wrong, they moved there in the late 50's & the farm across the road was very much smaller than the one on the post card.  About the same time that my Dad died there in 1967, the farm had been sold & a small estate of houses built. My Mother moved away a couple of years later & the bungalow sold with the knowledge that it was to be pulled down for modern houses to be built on the site, so a pair of semi's fits the bill. Princes Avenue also was completely made up at that time as well.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2020, 01:12:21 PM »
Dave, I think most of these photo's were taken around 1930ish. Some may actually be a bit earlier. I notice that your parents bungalow is no longer there, replaced by a pair of semi's. This is it zoomed in a bit.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2020, 11:12:20 AM »
Smiffy. Many thanks for the photo's. The first card show my parent's bungalow, "Rozzelle", Princes Avenue. Corrugated iron with a veranda all round & a VERY steep garden. They bought it in 1963 when my father retired from the Yard. By then there were many other bungalows/houses along that end of Princes Ave. on the same side- all different in biggish plots & generally built in the 30's. Do you know what date that post card is please? Lyn. I never walked all the way down to Luton but did cycle many times, What a rough old road that was, chalk & flintstones.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2020, 10:54:51 AM »
I used to be able to walk for miles ( and run once upon a time ) now it's a trek just to the local shop. the 'famed' beauty sleep didn't help much at all  :P but at least I've reached over 70 and lots don't.
I am very careful but have done my own shopping for the last  three weeks and found almost everything in my local Co-op . Only when I need to though.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2020, 12:02:31 AM »
Lyn, I think that most members of the forum over a certain age can remember walking miles to get somewhere without giving it a second thought, until we could afford our own transport. After that it become a less attractive option. (I was once young and lovely as well :D )

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2020, 08:41:44 PM »
Hi Lyn L. Remember you from the"old"fourum" may not be so  young any more,and beauty is in the eye of the beholder😎

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2020, 05:16:04 PM »
In the second photo and I am going back a good few years ( 1965) I walked  down that road from Dargets Wood where we lived with small baby in his pram all the way down to Luton, up Upper Luton Rd to my Mums in Gillingham and then back home again, must have been mad but did it a few times ( was young and lovely then ;)  )

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2020, 04:10:06 PM »

A view along Princes Avenue. Once called Victoria Road, Princes Avenue did not originally start until near the junction of King Edward road, now renamed Prince Charles Avenue.

Princes Avenue before development took hold. The original route took it along what is now Kingfisher Drive and Hopewell Drive before
entering Capstone Road near Hopewell House.

A bungalow in Victoria road.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2020, 11:22:50 PM »

Another view of Brakes Hill from a different angle, which I think was taken a bit later than the one posted by KeithG. This one is titled "Nab Hill" which may refer to one of the large houses on top of the hill which had this name.

This picture is a bit of an enigma as I'm not entirely sure where it was taken. It says "The Village" and I believe it may be just after the roundabout, going down toward Walderslade village itself. It's hard to relate it to the view now, as there is a modern bypass which veers off to the right, whereas I think this shows the course of the old road which used to bear left into the village. Does anyone know what the sign, or information board on the left is - possibly a bus timetable?

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2020, 06:13:20 PM »
KeithG, I wonder how much he paid for all of that land in 1899? Even in relative terms it would probably seem a pittance compared to what it's worth now.

KeithG

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2020, 02:28:33 PM »
Smiffy..... Obvious the wording for the card is wrong although it mentions Brake in 1899 when he bought the land before converting it all.
Also the type of print on the card matches your ones so they must be as you say.

I have corrected the post

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2020, 01:53:54 PM »