Author Topic: Overshore, Upchurch.Rainham  (Read 6251 times)

Offline Smiffy

Re: Overshore, Upchurch.Rainham
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 05:47:20 PM »
I see the name still lives on in the form of a small caravan site.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 04:54:48 PM »
Nemo
The Burge and Barron Cement works was on the Wakely Brickfields at Overshore.

Offline Nemo

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 04:23:50 PM »
No images so far (although I'm confused about which brickworks); I assume you've seen https://www.cementkilns.co.uk/cement_kiln_falcon.html

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 03:20:56 PM »
Haven't seen any images.

However the last recorded event in St Mary's Parish register's mentioning Overshore was the baptism of Daisy Packer of Overshore Huts on May 2nd 1900.

On the 1891 Census most families at Overshore lived in Coveney Lane .Presume that,s where the Cottages you mention were.

The Cement Factory appears to be of Burgis(sic)   Burge  and Baron.

Interestingly , Electoral roll entries for Overshore folk state Polling District or Place as  Halstow.

Good Luck with your Quest , :)

Offline Mike Gunnill

Overshore, Upchurch.Rainham
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 12:12:36 PM »
Has anyone seen photographs of the Overshore, a hamlet on Otterham Creek, Upchurch/Rainham?

There was a collection of 20 cottages. The hamlet was taken over, I think by the nearby cement factory and a Wakeley Brothers brickfield. It was there 1915/1916 as I have seen reported dead fighting in WW1.

The brickfield was noted on maps from 1858, then 1891-1898. The cement factory, owned by Blue Circle when it closed in 1915. The area had a wharf for in and out shipments for cement and another owned by Wakeley Brothers. They built barges and later had a repair only business, this was called Wakeley Brothers Wharf. The area still has a wharf, the last owner was Peter Woodger. On his death the wharf was put up for sale. The wharf is the only thing that remains today.

Grateful for any suggestions and/or help from members.

Still: Keep Safe.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >