Author Topic: Newspapers !  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Smiffy

Re: Newspapers !
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 10:13:41 PM »
I notice that for some reason both of them seem to be standing with hats removed in an act of remembrance.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 03:50:07 PM »
Remember both the gentalman depicted, chap on the right went by the name of Sid,chap on the left was ex service man, look at the shine on those shoes,both often spotted late nite using the meat pie stall oposit the fire station under the viaduct,never knew them personally,thanks for the memories.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 12:05:03 AM »
A picture from the War & Peace collection showing a news stand located on the corner of Military Road/High Street, Chatham outside of Burtons. I'm not sure to whom the royal funeral refers to, I would imagine George VI which would date this to 1952.

Offline smiler

• Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 03:17:40 PM »
1959 was my year for a paper round 7/6d (37.1/2P) for the morning round, and 5 bob (25p) for the evening

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 05:07:28 PM »
Having followed. The newspaper section with some interest ,and may I say nostalgia,I spent an hour or so trying to recall the'pitches' in the Medway towns,so these are the ons I recall:- out side Pembroke gate ,morning &evening only,military road outside the two brothers pub,star hill corner of casanue st,knew the gent on that one,old Shack who could forget him,can't remember any pitches in Strood?but then strood was"foreign "to us Troy town lads.there were a couple in Gillingham,station forcourt and out side Woolis . In

Online DaveTheTrain

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 01:09:10 PM »
The Sunday round was the worst, all those supplements in the newspapers.   I dont think I could do it now!

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 10:40:49 AM »

Those paper rounds weren't easy jobs especially for those of us who then went to school afterwards. 1957 or '58 I started. An all weather job 7 days a week and those weekend papers were heavy.
That damn bag full of them used to nearly cut your head of as it hung around the neck.
Not something I'd wish on any kid under those conditions and not allowed from what I read these days. Certainly not here in Oz where they're delivered by car and chucked out onto the front of the house or you buy them anywhere.
AlanTH.

pete.mason

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 06:24:22 PM »
Mine was mid 60s, 15/- 6.15 start, sort and mark up the papers, KM round on Friday pm. Had enough when the Sunday supplements got bigger and got added to KM round for no extra. so 8 deliveries around the Bower area of Maidstone plus collecting money for 15/-

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 05:57:19 PM »
I think it was a rite of passage for kids to have a paper-round. Most of my mates when I was younger (mid to late 1970s) had a paper-round, though after the Bridgewater murder, my parents wouldn't let me.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Newspapers !
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 11:03:55 AM »
Seeing Dave The Train - comments on delivering newspapers at 14 years of age.
Well I did the same - but the hard way.
In 1941 - I applied for a job at W.H.Smiths - (at 14 - before Post Office job)
I had to collect the newspapers from Chatham station at 6.30 am every morning,
take them to the rear building in Medway Street - sort them - mark them - then deliver them
from Star Hill along New Road - then along the High Street - to Barnes the potato merchant,
near the Regent Cinema - then call at the shop in Ordnance Street - for hot rolls - to
share with my mother - until I return to work - on the front counter of W.H.Smiths at 9.00 am.
W.H.Smiths then - were at the bottom of Manor Road - in the High Street.
Wages then - were fifteen shillings a week - with four pence stopped - for the insurance stamp.