Author Topic: Spitfire crash 11th October 1940  (Read 3738 times)

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

Re: Spitfire crash 11th October 1940
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 01:14:02 AM »
Welcome dorissdad.

If P.O. Pool had taken off from Biggin Hill to patrol over Deal, then he would have passed close by to Sittingbourne. It may be that the location of his combat has been miss-reported elsewhere. See this book for one account!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xWLNDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT152&lpg=PT152&dq=spitfire+%22k9870%22+pool&source=bl&ots=bR05MqLW2k&sig=ACfU3U3bdReXhhHpZjOOv5zUpQvYm0Osgg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiTiMiA3NzzAhUBzhoKHZw_Bi8Q6AF6BAgREAM#v=onepage&q=spitfire%20%22k9870%22%20pool&f=false

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 06:25:07 PM »
       Firstly forgive my ignorance for not welcoming you Jeremy. I didn't see it was your first post .
        Welcome from me.
        I am sorry my answer is not what you were hoping for.
        This subject cropped up about 10 years or more ago. At the time I searched the local paper archives and some one else checked some home guard logs at the time and there was no mention of a crash in the area around that date.
Considering it was shot down over Deal and was damaged enough for P/o Poole to bale out, the disabled Spit would have to have glided or spun a long way to reach Milton.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 11:42:03 AM »
Welcome dorissdad - welcome to the K.H.F.

Your question has brought this forum back to life - we need questions like yours.
A prompt answer by grandarog + news report + a photo of the Pilot.- cant be bad.
Thanks - for your input.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 06:51:53 PM »
Sorry Jeremy wasn't  There. The only reference to it crashing at Milton Regis is in Richard Smith's book about RAF Duxford. Also on the London Battle of Britain Memorial site of Airmans Story's ,which also has photos of P/o Pool.

Pilot Officer P.D.Pool of No 72 Squadron was wounded on October 11th 1940 when his Spitfire I (K9870) was shot down near Deal in Kent. Pool baled out and was injured.

P.D Pool .   Died : 19 / 8 / 1942

I think you are more likely refering to this crash See link.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=199730.9

Offline dorissdad

Spitfire crash 11th October 1940
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 06:24:43 PM »
I wonder if any one can help me please.
I am searching for any information about a Spitfire K9870 that crashed somewhere between Milton Regis and Chetney, at about 08.00 on 11th October 1940. The Spitfire was being flown by Pilot Officer Pool of 72 Squadron based at Biggin Hill when it was attacked by 109's near Deal. PO Pool bailed out injured and the Spitfire fell to earth somewhere near Milton Regis and Chetney.
I am trying to determine where the Spitfire actually crashed.If anyone has any information, from memories or news articles or mementoes I would very much like to know.NB PO Pool survived the crash, but was killed later in the war when he was once again shot down over the channel.

Thanks in advance

Jeremy