Author Topic: VE Day, 75th anniversary  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Dave Smith

Re: VE Day, 75th anniversary
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 05:00:27 PM »
Alkamhills. How nice to be so patriotic with the Union Jack. But I'm afraid that in the real army, his feet wouldn't have touched! Leaving one " up the spout" was about as bad as you could get & a fizzer would have been the least of his worries! Reduced to the ranks, especially if he'd been NCO i/c distribution of live ammunition. Yes, that's where the doodlebug was headed, nearly all were on their way to London. Occasionally when the engine cut out, they dived down almost vertically, at other times they glided- I watched one into the distance. Which was odd really when you see one up close as the wing area isn't great, certainly not a glider's wing. 

pete.mason

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 12:48:27 PM »
Quote "Would that be Restoration House (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoration_House)?  If so, do you have any more information, or better still a reference to this use?"   My aunt was a writer stationed at The Vines, prior to that at Shooters Hill Blackheath. No idea what she actually did although postwar she worked as a telephone operator at various high security establishments in London.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 12:46:40 PM »
75 years ago ,as a nipper at Tunstall, I remember proudly carrying a Union jack on a stick over my shoulder Walking with my mum from Pond Cottages round to see my Aunty Nelly and Uncle Sid at their house in Woodstock Road. The sun was shining ,people were hanging up flags and streamers outside their houses and ever one was happy and talked to us .
Shortly after I cant remember what day there was a Village Party to celebrate with lots of food and games afterwards. Lucky me had another Street party in front of the War Memorial in Headcorn Street later when Mum and dad visited Uncle Walt and Aunty Kitty there.
This year for the commemoration day  my effort to keep the Villagers amused kept me occupied building it since Lockdown began. Has 12 volt drive ,Lights , and a klaxon. Ok on the Flat but struggles up a slope. Hope you all had a good Day Celebrating.
:)
Quick run for Melanie's boys.  (Click on the line for Video.)
https://www.facebook.com/melanie.richards.75/videos/273399024006045

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 11:34:53 AM »
Would that be Restoration House (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoration_House)?  If so, do you have any more information, or better still a reference to this use?  Thanks.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 12:37:42 AM »
Was At Union street Rochester,number 24, on VE Day remember it well,lovly street party,even had a piano in the road,I fell asleep on my mums lap,it was a lovly sunny day,that evening my brother ,a scout messenger for theARP took me to Chatham to watch the crowds in Chatham high street and the paddock,
There was a 'large house oposit the vines Maidstone road ,temp barracks for WREN ladies,late on VE Day a small truck of Americans turned up,strange goings on in the vines that evening?😬

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 11:37:04 PM »
Remember it well, the setting out of the tables, chairs, table cloth`s, then the food.
My dad did the electric lights, strung them across the street, then up the street, flags as well.
Music was plumbed in, somehow, with big speakers. the children sat down, eyeing the cakes     Everyone.worked hard, to make it a success. I was nearly eighteen -- 17 & 9/12th ---- ??? ] 8)
Dancing in the evening ---------- a great day.

Offline alkhamhills

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 09:00:30 PM »

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
My Dad didn't get back from Germany until July 1945 but I wasn't born until November 46. I can remember using coupons for sweets when I was about 4 yrs old. My late sister was at Trafalgar Sq on VE day though she would have been 17. My Mum was probably at home with my two older brothers . I should ask them of their memories. I only know it was good we moved from London down to Ramsgate in 1947 or else the boys would probably  have ended up friends of the Krays  or such like  ;) . They did find a Witch Ball in a bombed out home and took it for my Mum, it was a lovely thing , wonder what else they got up to ?

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 07:01:06 PM »
One of my brothers managed to acquire a couple of those signal rockets for Guy Fawkes night when I was little. One was set off from the back garden, the other was dissected on the kitchen table :o 

As for VE day, I wasn't born then, but I imagine that after the celebrating most people were just glad that it was all over at last and that things could get back to normal. Which they didn't entirely of course, as rationing continued for many years after. In fact, I believe that in 1954 Britain was actually the last country to end rationing.

Offline Dave Smith

VE Day, 75th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 05:37:42 PM »
I'm surprised that none of our other oldies haven't posted an "I remember that". I don't suppose anyone was in the forces but quite a few would have been at School, like me. Actually I don't remember whether we did go to school that day. What I do remember was the evening when the daughter in next door but one, came home from work at Chattendene with a great big box of signal/distress rockets. A 4 or 5 ft "stick" with "the business" in a tube 11/2 to 2 inches diameter & 15 or more inches long. What a display! Bigger & better than anything I'd ever seen before. Of course, there was no television to show us how the Nation was celebrating.