Maritime History > Rivers, Canals and other Inland Waterways

The Medway

<< < (2/3) > >>

castle261:
I have revised that line --- thank you, for all the comments.

pr1uk:

--- Quote from: castle261 on April 02, 2020, 10:35:40 AM ---Thank you for your comment, I believe John was the Minister in charge --- was he Nott ---  8)

--- End quote ---

Love the pun,
It would not have mattered who was the Minister on the day, but he never "shut" the yard he announced the closure

stuartwaters:

--- Quote from: pr1uk on April 02, 2020, 09:13:33 AM ---Good read,
But
'Next the Dockyard, shut by John Nott"
No really he was the one in post that's true but the closure had been planned over many years

--- End quote ---

That's very true. When Nore Command was shut down in the early 1960s, the decision was taken to build the Nuclear Refitting Complex at Chatham as a way of safeguarding jobs there. Closure had been contemplated a century before with the planned construction of a mega-Dockyard at Northfleet, which would have replaced the Deptford, Woolwich, Sheerness and Chatham Dockyards. Those plans fell through and instead the extension to Chatham was built. Before that, closure had been contemplated in the early 1770s,  but instead, the Navy Board decided to turn Chatham into building and major repair yard.

Chatham had been being slowly and quietly run down in the years between the end of the Second World War and the announcement in 1981. In the end, the Dockyard was a dumping ground for old and obsolete warships, the so-called Reserve Squadron.

castle261:
Thank you for your comment, I believe John was the Minister in charge --- was he Nott ---  8)

pr1uk:
Good read,
But
'Next the Dockyard, shut by John Nott"
No really he was the one in post that's true but the closure had been planned over many years

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version