Author Topic: Fever Hospital.  (Read 3016 times)

KeithG

Re: Fever Hospital.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 02:15:52 PM »
A different view to see the area the Hospital covered.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 04:18:58 PM »
The house there overlooking the road was where after hours Doctors were based probably 1980s  can't remember exact time,  handy we lived very close. I was poorly struggling to breathe one evening , middle son was sent over there and Dr came within minutes Pleurisy  diagnosed. That came not long after a bout of flu . When I could go back to work ( 6 weeks off altogether ) my foreman told me to drink Mackeson  , nope didn't get on with that  :P . Not a beer or stout drinker at all.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 02:33:04 PM »
St Williams Hospital. Unsure of the date, possibly 1920's or a bit later.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 01:52:12 PM »
My Mum also had radiotherapy for cancer there , before I lived almost opposite .
 I remember when it was demolished and  a  JCB  or whatever ? was  being used to demolish the low wall on the bank for the new road ( High Bank now ) . He went through a mains electric cable , huge great flash  and no electricity for hours here then, It was wonder he wasn't killed in the cab. We then had a large fish tank and were so scared we were going to lose all the fish , it was about 8 hrs before it was rectified. They did all survive. So did the driver !

KeithG

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 11:04:23 AM »
As time moved on St. Williams was also use for X- ray therapy for cancer. My Mum was an out patient in 1958.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Fever Hospital.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 04:54:56 PM »
The Hospital in St. Williams Way, used to be known as the Fever Hospital. My brother & I were both
taken there, when we had, I think Scarlet Fever. This was in the 1936 era - Now the Hospice.
We were wrapped in thick red blanket`s, carrying a banana & an orange each.