Healthcare > Hospitals and Asylums

St Barts Hospital. Rochester.

<< < (2/8) > >>

Natasha Steer:
Hi everyone! I have been working with George from Future Chatham about St Bartholomew's Hospital as part of a High Street Heritage Action Zone micro grant we were awarded. We spent sometime collecting stories about the hospital and speaking to Medway residents about their experiences of living and working there. You can see our videos that we recorded here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIWSGc3yAVqsRRO8hUgSkjw We realise not all our facts are spot on as we are learning as we go. We have found Greenwoods and Dr Stratton's notes very useful! We would like to collect as much info as we can for Medway Archives. Please if you have photos or stories that you are willing to share for Medway Archives please let me know as we want to make sure the history of the hospital is not lost with the redevelopment into luxury flats. You can see more about the redevelopment here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uBsyCLXs0ufboPn3W41rUyDcEV2KgGgA/view?usp=sharing

Smiffy:
I have one of the Railway saloon which I believe is his as well. Also very naive but as you say there may be no other visual record of many of these places.

As an aside, the building on the other side of the steps - William Edmead's - is listed as an Orange Merchant.

CAT:
Naive, but still very informative. Sometimes these simple drawings can be the only surviving view of a building, or street scene, to survive if no such comparable 19th - early twentieth century photographic view of professional engraving is available.

dingo4638:
The Victory pub stood to the left of the chapel steps on the High Street. This is one of Edwin Harris' rather naive drawings.

Smiffy:
Interesting to compare the drawings with this map from the 1860's. As you can see the chapel was almost completely surrounded by other buildings, the main access being via Chapel lane and the Chapel steps in the High street.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version