Members Only Area > General Discussion

Various Shops That Used To Exist In Chatham

(1/4) > >>

Smiffy:
Jean, can you tell us when this was - I can't remember it myself, could be I was too young to take notice. This was once, and is now again, known as Fullager's Yard. The name goes back to at least the middle of the 19th century and probably beyond, although who Fullager was is unknown to me.

Post war the Invicta Cinema is shown as a clothing factory - can anyone remember this? Later on of course, it became Invicta Bingo, frequented regularly by my parents  :)

There was another market much further down the High street, opposite the Regent/ABC/Canon cinema and next to The Little Crown, known as "Medway Markets". Once again, I have no memory of this, perhaps someone else does?

A picture taken of one of the markets, not sure which one - probably Medway Markets. No date, likely pre-1950 by the look of it.

castle261:
The building mentioned - at the side of Woolworths was the Invicta Picture House  - " The Bug Hutch " as known by us -`Saturday morning Kids - in 1938

grandarog:
Can you imagine the risk assessment and safety rules to use a Gas Axe to cut a lamppost off at the base in this day and age. Doubt if it would even be allowed.

shoot999:
Remember the market as a child. Stalls lining the wide alleyway and then the indoor part. Which I assume was in the Invicta Ballroom?

Jean:
Not a shop exactly, but fond memories of the indoor market that was tucked away just off the High Street. The entrance to the market was along an alleyway along the side of Woolworths. It was a lively place that offered much to entice everyone through its entrance. The market stalls were piled high with meat, vegetables and household necessities as well as plants, cakes and jewelry. The smell on entering was unique.
It was just the place to go for a young pre teen that only had pennies for pocket money,  to look for family gifts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version